Not sure how to get ideal body shape from here

Options
Ok, I've been losing weight slowly but have lost a total of 70 pounds over the last 3 years. Myfitnesspal is a huge part of it. I cut down on "bad" foods and started counting calories. I hit my first goal weight. My skin is very loose and I have more fat on me than I thought I would. I am 5"3 and currently weigh 145 pounds. My question is, what's the best way from here to get that toned look for my body. I feel I would like to weigh around 125-130 pounds but still think I won't have enough muscle tone. Ideas?

Replies

• ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks! That was the plan... I've just read so many things about bulking and things to gain muscle but I think I still need to lose more weight before worrying about that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you do have loose skin it can take a couple of years post weight loss to really see where you are but it may be that in certain area of your body it's never going to be "toned" because the skin is in the way of showing the underlying muscle.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As mentioned above, weight train while continuing your weight loss plan. We're pretty much body twins I guess. I lost 68 lbs, I'm 5'3", 143 lbs and my goal is 125. But I strength train regularly to keep the loose skin I have to a minimum. I also had a couple of kids before the weight loss. That has an effect on things too.
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, weight train while continuing your weight loss plan. We're pretty much body twins I guess. I lost 68 lbs, I'm 5'3", 143 lbs and my goal is 125. But I strength train regularly to keep the loose skin I have to a minimum. I also had a couple of kids before the weight loss. That has an effect on things too.

You look great! I just started back up with weights. Mostly just doing dumb bells at home. Squats have really helped shape my butt more! The key is staying consistent with diet and weight lifting which I fell off the wagon but I see what difference it helped so I'm sticking with it :) congrats on your weight loss!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

You look great! I just started back up with weights. Mostly just doing dumb bells at home. Squats have really helped shape my butt more! The key is staying consistent with diet and weight lifting which I fell off the wagon but I see what difference it helped so I'm sticking with it :) congrats on your weight loss!

Aww, thanks! Consistency is key! Definitely keep up with the weight training, the results are so worth it, so be patient. Good luck with everything, and congratulations on your weight loss!
  • scott_larson
    scott_larson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's always great to hear weight loss stories! A couple of things come to my mind as I read your request as well as your replies. #1 - weight loss and gaining muscle are not mutually exclusive. As a matter of fact, the more muscle you can gain, the more calories you will use per day, which will HELP you lose MORE fat. I would highly recommend taking a branched chain amino acid (like AdvoCare's "product called Catalyst) that will promote protein production and curb metabolization of your muscle during periods of calorie restriction. If you don't supplement, weight train, and watch your protein intake, up to 30% of your weight loss could actually be muscle loss. Secondly, your resting metabolic rate has most definitely changed since you started. You need to make sure the calorie recommendation you had at first is now actually less than when you started. I'm sure my fitness pal factors that in . . . Best way to tell for sure is go get your body fat % checked. Your metabolic rate (calories you burn per day) is 25.8 * lean mass + 4.04 * fat mass. Lastly, I'm not sure what you're doing for exercise, but you're going to want to focus on weight training, yes, but also some higher intensity cardio. An example of this might be snatching a kettle bell for 10 minutes (7 or so snatches per arm every minute), or running 3 miles, one mile at a time at a faster pace (instead of 3 miles at once). This will keep you in glycolysis and burn some of those carbs you've ingested! Best of luck to you, and my apologies for such a lengthy reply!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've been losing weight slowly but have lost a total of 70 pounds over the last 3 years. Myfitnesspal is a huge part of it. I cut down on "bad" foods and started counting calories. I hit my first goal weight. My skin is very loose and I have more fat on me than I thought I would. I am 5"3 and currently weigh 145 pounds. My question is, what's the best way from here to get that toned look for my body. I feel I would like to weigh around 125-130 pounds but still think I won't have enough muscle tone. Ideas?

Consistency over time will tell.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's always great to hear weight loss stories! A couple of things come to my mind as I read your request as well as your replies. #1 - weight loss and gaining muscle are not mutually exclusive. As a matter of fact, the more muscle you can gain, the more calories you will use per day, which will HELP you lose MORE fat. I would highly recommend taking a branched chain amino acid (like AdvoCare's "product called Catalyst) that will promote protein production and curb metabolization of your muscle during periods of calorie restriction. If you don't supplement, weight train, and watch your protein intake, up to 30% of your weight loss could actually be muscle loss. Secondly, your resting metabolic rate has most definitely changed since you started. You need to make sure the calorie recommendation you had at first is now actually less than when you started. I'm sure my fitness pal factors that in . . . Best way to tell for sure is go get your body fat % checked. Your metabolic rate (calories you burn per day) is 25.8 * lean mass + 4.04 * fat mass. Lastly, I'm not sure what you're doing for exercise, but you're going to want to focus on weight training, yes, but also some higher intensity cardio. An example of this might be snatching a kettle bell for 10 minutes (7 or so snatches per arm every minute), or running 3 miles, one mile at a time at a faster pace (instead of 3 miles at once). This will keep you in glycolysis and burn some of those carbs you've ingested! Best of luck to you, and my apologies for such a lengthy reply!

BCAA's are a waste of money if someone gets adequate protein. All of the studies done on them only show benefits for people eating a very low protein diet. It's highly unlikely anyone on here is eating that low calories or that low of protein.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Find a progressive lifting program that supports your goals and eat accordingly. Get enough protein. You will be so happy with the results!
  • kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That was the plan... I've just read so many things about bulking and things to gain muscle but I think I still need to lose more weight before worrying about that.

Definitely - I don't recommend bulking until you've lost all the fat you want. I was at a similar height and weight - in 5'4, and at about 145 lbs (40 pound loss at that point) I started incorporating strength training. I was still able to lose fat while gaining muscle in a deficit at that point. I got down to 127 and am now doing a recomp; eating at maintenance/a very modest surplus and still incorporating cardio. I'm now still about 127 pounds but am feeling great and gaining a lot of muscle/seeing incredible changes in my body! It's hard to transition to a bulk because you're still a beginner and your body is not necessarily accustomed/efficient at turning a calorie surplus into muscle yet instead of fat.

My recommendation is definitely start a lifting program - you'll see amazing results.

Good luck and congrats on the loss- that's amazing!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I second the start lifting now! advice. If your goal is lean and strong, I think that's achievable just by eating at a slight deficit and lifting.

Just for example's sake--
    I started New Rules of Lifting for Women in April at about 145 lbs (5'4") and added a bit more cardio than the program recommended, ate about 1800 calories (and nearly all my exercise calories). I hit 127 in October and felt awesome. I'm 124.5 now and see some decent muscle definition. I'm not sure i have the temperament to bulk--I added a lifting day, lifted heavier, and ate more for about 6 weeks. Gained 8 lbs. hated it. Lost it again and think I'm going the recomp route :smile:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to start lifting! You will be amazed at how your body changes over time, whether you lose more weight or not.

PS. I admire your dedication and patience in taking 3 years to lose the weight. Apply the same principles to weight lifting and it will pay off in spades!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight, lift heavy stuff while you do it...

THIS. Eat at maintenance and lift HEAVY. You'll be amazed. Recomp is a really awesome thing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Lift and eat in a slight deficit. I'm 5'4" as well and 143 in my profile pic. That is on the chubbier side for me but I look pretty dang lean around 135. I'm like teeny tiny at 128 (not even maintainable).