Potassium Levels in Ingredients are Incorrect

Options
Pooshka2
Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
If you're on a low-potassium plan, do not rely on the levels in the foods here, many erroneously show "0" milligrams in a serving. For example, it lists 0 mg. in a cup of Chobani Fat Free Plain greek yogurt; in reality, there are about 345.

I think it's because standard food labels don't include potassium, and just taking the information from those labels and not indicating what's not included (as opposed to what's zero) is a disservice to those who need to watch nutrient levels other than the "common" ones.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I've been consistently under on potassium and I eat chobani yogurt. I'll have to add that info.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It's not required on packaging so many entries will not have it. Even if you see it on your container now, it may not have been there when the entry was created (by other users FYI).

You can create your own food entries and put the info you need on it. Then you simply use these entries when you log. You may have to research some items to find potassium levels. As you do this and build your own little database, your logging will be faster and more accurate.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Heads up. Not just potassium, many entries are flat out wrong. How wrong, who knows. The obvious ones like a 600 calorie glove of garlic stand out very well, others your guess is as good as mine.
  • ferretkingdom
    ferretkingdom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wish the database did not show you to pull every food everyday by every other user. SOOOOOOO Many wrong ones.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I had a jar of sundried tomatoes in olive oil from Trader Joe's. There was no listing for potassium on the nutritional info on the jar, but when I scanned it into MFP it pulled in potassium as 400 mg per serving. I looked it up online, and sure enough, sundried tomatoes are high in potassium. The entries for it that people have entered themselves by hand do not show potassium, because it's not on the jar label.

So, try scanning the item and then checking potassium. It might show up that way?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wish the database did not show you to pull every food everyday by every other user. SOOOOOOO Many wrong ones.

The users are the ones who make the majority of the database. The only things MFP has entered are entries for foods that are found on USDA's database. When you account for thousands upon thousands of brands in many different countries after that, it's impossible to keep up with without letting others input the entries.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I really wish there was more accurate information on potassium. As someone who is battling back from HBP, it would be nice to have accurate counts instead of having to figure it out on my own.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Try to only use entries with a green check next to them. These are ones that have been verified to be accurate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »

Try to only use entries with a green check next to them. These are ones that have been verified to be accurate.

That doesn't mean they actually are accurate. Always double check the information given against the product's label.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've gone through and made my own food entries so I could get a better idea on potassium. I referenced the USDA food database for any entries I couldn't find.

I eat the same foods quite often so didn't take long to get everything entered but was worth it.

Surprising how many foods and beverages are good sources of potassium.