Hockey training ideas?

Options
I am getting back into hockey after about 5 years off, I played for 20+. I'm skating daily in inline skates along with my other workouts to get back out there. I'm in good shape, but not hockey shape. Any hockey players out there care to share what you're doing these days?

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm no hockey player, but my thoughts would be to practice with a stick and puck as much as possible to shake the rust off. For your cardio just keep rollerblading unless you have access to an ice rink.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I haven't played for five years but am in the best shape I've ever been. However it'd be the coordination of stick handling and shooting that I'd have the toughest time with. Might be worth doing some practice there.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a ton of stick handling work and there is an outdoor inline rink close to my house that I will be spending time at as well. Just seeing if there are any cool new things out there that hockey players are doing for dry land training. I appreciate the responses.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Gliding disc workouts might be useful.
    Resistance loops around your ankles, and maybe even an anchored resistance band tied to your hockey stick could help strengthen your shots.
    I'd also do some agility drills on the roller blades that incorporate a lot of starting, stopping, and turning that you would do playing hockey instead of just skating in a circle. Setting up some cones might help with that. Pushing a street hockey ball with a stick while doing that would be even better. You could wear ankle and wrist weights, and even a weighted vest, or backpack full of stuff while training.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    3 x 12. face punches
    3 x 8 sticks to the chin
    Be sure to include a rest day.