Baby weight

Options
This site looks awesome! Here's to hoping I'm always as pumped and motivated as I am today.

I had a baby three weeks ago, and I'm trying to gradually but permanently lose 30 pounds. I can't go on an all-out diet since I'm breastfeeding, but I want to eat smarter, gradually get back into fitness, and hope that the extra calories burned from feeding my little girl will help me along.

Is anyone else out there trying to lose baby weight? Or just looking to lose 30 pounds in the next 6 months or so (my goal is by Christmas)? If so, please add me as a friend! I need all the support I can get.

--a happy but chubby new mama

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Welcome..you will find loads of info here. As far as the eating part...you will be able to do a great deal...and be feeding your baby good stuff...
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    I lost like 30lbs after I had my daughter April of 2010 from breastfeeding, however I didnt change my diet and gained it all back. I am now on a mission to get back to my old self! Best of luck to you on your journey! I'm sure breastfeeding will be a great help.
  • amorgan101187
    Options
    im here to lose baby weight : ) and some extra lol. I have a 16 month old and a 2 month old. So far ive lost 18 lb (200 down to 182). Once i hit 175 i will be the weight i was when i got pregnant with my daughter.. from there i hope to lose an additional 40 at least.
  • keishamarie4
    Options
    I am trying to lose my baby weight also! My son is 5 months old so I am a little bit late on starting to lose my baby weight, but better late then never huh lol. I wish I only gained 30lbs during pregnancy lol. My body just did not handle it well at all!! We are moms now and that is the toughest job. Losing weight should be nothing compared to what we do 24/7!! You can do it!
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Two months after I gave birth I loss all the baby weight because I was (and still am) breastfeeding! Now I'm trying to gain weight
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Hey there...congrats on your new baby girl. :flowerforyou:

It can be done as long as you stay focused and those extra calories from breastfeeding should help you out. You can do this the healthy way by eating healthier and working out here and there. Even if it's just plain old walking! You have to get your doctors OK though. :smile: I am looking to lose about 29 lbs by my birthday (December 21st). :bigsmile: Feel free to add me. I have baby weight to lose since 10 years ago...LOL!!! :laugh:
  • CelticDestiny
    CelticDestiny Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about nursing your little one, besides the benefits to your baby, is the benefit to you. As long as you eat healthy for yourself you will lose weight faster because you are nursing. It takes a good amount of energy for your body to make that milk. After I had my second baby last July I lost 30lbs in 3 months and was almost exclusively nursing her. My diet wasn't so great at that time either. Congratulations on the little one and good luck! I know you will make it.
  • jamhamster
    jamhamster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to MFP i've been on here for just over a week and am also shifting weight gain from babie's my youngest is almost 9 months, I'm also a breast feeder I'm just mindful each day that I need calories for milk as well so try not to under eat by much and try eat more healthy section of food, I've also set my target at just a pound a week so i'm not pushing my self too hard. so far my 1st week I lost 3lb :) feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • justsarah
    justsarah Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi and congrats! I also have a little one - 4mo and still breastfeeding. I am losing weight, slowly but surely.

Feel free to friend me and we can follow each other's progress! :)
  • adie_rogers
    adie_rogers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi There!
    Congratulations on your little one!
    I am also hoping to shift the baby weight - although my 'baby' is 3 (and a half)!
    I would say that if you are breast feeding you will proabably not struggle too much to lose the weight as long as you eat sensibly - don't put your calorie goal too low as you need to sustain baby too. And drink plenty of water!
    Best of luck! xx
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I gained 42 pounds with my son and have finally lost all that weight and 18 additional pounds (from where my thyroid shut down in 2009 causing me to gain massive amounts of weight!) I am still breastfeeding (he's almost 9 months old now) and am hoping to get down to my high school weight which is 12 pounds away. Feel free to add me because I can use the encouragement too!