Plus size swimsuits for laps?

Options
Hey all..

What swimsuits have you warn to do laps in? Would a regular tankini be ok?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hold onto your pants if you dive in, but if the top has good straps and decent coverage it should be fine. Fashiony type stuff tends to balloon out and catch water.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Dolfin's Aquashape line has great plus size suits. I have the conservative lap suit in a size 20. It is the best fitting suit I have ever owned. It doesn't ride up around the butt and the straps stay put. I've even had a few compliments on how good it looks on me. If you already have a tankini you will probably be fine with that as long as it fits well.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As someone who was short and stubby, I found trunks with a tie string and a rash vest worked best for me.
    However if you prefer a more traditional look some tankinis may work, however be careful to get one that won't ride up or down. Another thinge to look for us how high the legs are if you are carrying a little extra around the tummy. The extended leg holes being pushed out showing a large bellybulge (and sometimes a bit more) is not the best look. If I was shopping for a one piece would be aiming for a boy leg design
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm looking at the aqua shape. Definitely going to adding shorts with it.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I wear a tankini top and black spandex shorts. No one looks twice. :)
  • mtlj765
    mtlj765 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    h20wear.com has great suits that last really well.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have a one piece I just bought. I'll wear shorts over top because things need to be covered. I have a 2 piece suit I'd like to wear but the top floats up to the surface...annoying! I got mine from Junonia but only because I need a tall.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate a one piece (so many reasons lol) for laps that's what I wear. I through a paire of black shorts on till I get to the pool. Tankiini I feel like boobs will come out or bottoms fall down....just my experience. I love Tankiini for non exercise swimming.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,188 Member
    Options
    I love the Lands End tugless tank, mastectomy version. (The regular version is probably Swell, too :) Available up to 26W in some colors, regular & long torso). 9No, I have no affiliation with Lands End. Just a happy consumer.)

I'm a post-mastectomy li'l ol' lady, no reconstruction, and I choose to swim (and live most of the rest of my life) without prostheses.

These tanks stay in place, no gaping, no shifting, even without breasts.

It's taken work, but even when obese I was able to find swimsuits that I could truly swim vigorously in, if I worked hard at it. I'm pretty sure few other people are so difficult to fit. I'm a big fan of the one-piece, with or without shorts/swimskirt on top.

I think that if you want stability, the one-piece is ideal: straps hold it up, solid band under the breasts holds it in place if you have breasts ;) , crotch holds it down - where can it go? ;)
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall! I ended up ordering a one piece from swimsuits for all with a terry robe for until I get to the pool. Yall were so helpful. Now, to figure out what is best to do in the pool..besides laps, im sure that gets boring. lol
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    SayLiLIG wrote: »
    Thanks yall! I ended up ordering a one piece from swimsuits for all with a terry robe for until I get to the pool. Yall were so helpful. Now, to figure out what is best to do in the pool..besides laps, im sure that gets boring. lol

Aqua aerobics is good if you could fit it in?

Also, I wear one piece swimsuits that have a skirt attached as I'm quite conscious of having every line and crease on show.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Shallow and deep water running really burn calories because you have to put in so much effort to move forward. I used to teach water aerobics in shallow and deep water and on days we did extra running in either end we always felt we had a great workout (and I was 21 and slim then).
    I will caution you to make sure you are setting your heels down as plantar fasciitis is a common injury in water exercise.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I typically just wear my (form-fitting) sports bra and shorts. (Under Armour - they look fairly swim suit-esque).
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    swimsuitsforall.com has some that work (the Aquabelle line). They're pretty reasonable.