Help! Ideas for exercising?

Options
lilacpancakeszoe
lilacpancakeszoe Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't get home from work until 8pm weekdays so I do not have time to go to the gym. Does anyone have ideas for exercising I can do in my own home?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What time does your gym close?
    (I'm often thrown out at closing time - 10pm)

What are your goals?
    Cardio or weights/strength?
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There are so many things I don't even know where to start. All types of calisthenics, aerobics, yoga, cardio, shadow boxing/ muay thai/ kick boxing, dancing, stretching, lifting weights, resistance bands, gymnastics, breathing exercises. You could google any of these terms followed by the word exercises and click on images to see all the different exercises you could do. Stuff like different types of push- ups, jumping jacks, crunches, leg scissors, squats (pulse squats, jump squats, regular squats, Hindu squats, etc there's just so many), lunges, hip thrusts, calve raises, burpees, curls, military press, lateral raises, rows, and pull- ups are some of the basics. You can get resistance bands, dumbbells, kettle bells, gliding disks, an ab roller, doorway chin-up bar, jump rope, yoga mat, punching bag, push- up grips, agility ladder. You could just go for a power walk, jog, or run.
    Many people will recommend you do a program. Personally, I like thinking about and choosing what to do, but many people have been successful using programs. I just wonder how long they maintain their results. Getting mentally involved and controlling what I do, seems to help me continually evolve and adapt to changes, though programs may be a good starting point. You can take a lot away from them, even if you don't follow them to a T. Try different things. Find something you like, and switch it up when you've had enough of that. You could sign up for a race or some recreational sport in your area that will give you something to train for.
    Just think of what you want and what you like. Then search for, and discover ways to move that will suit you. Working out can be enjoyable when you find what you like to do.
  • lobsterthang999
    lobsterthang999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally find 15 minutes is perfect for a quick fat burning blast. I put my phone on a timer and alternate high intensity blasts of exercises like high knees, burpees or jumping squats with body weight exercises like press ups/lunges/static squats and the odd minute of planking in there somewhere. Anyway I end up hot and sweaty and work each muscle group in 15 minutes and then head off to the shower. Perfect when time is an issue. If your already super fit google the viking method its 15 minutes of torture perfect if you like that kind of thing!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    YouTube
    Search for:
    Convict Conditioning
    Dean Somerset mobility <---amazing btw
    Animal flow
    Yoga

Choose one and do it!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggested to a very busy person that he get off the bus twenty minutes from home. Walk it.

Look up HIIT exercises. Get your heart rate up in a very short workout.

If you live or work in a tower or walkup, take the stairs.

Park at the far end of the mall and do arm raises carrying the grocery bags back to the car.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    YouTube has a ton of videos......Jessica Smith TV is my favorite. Lots of different options with or without equipment.