Replies

• Jenharper125
    Jenharper125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Change up your exercise
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    As a short woman myself, I can confirm the need for a bit more effort and accuracy. Every little bit really does add up, meaning that small logging errors can ruin a deficit and that simple things like the suggestion to incorporate more walks/movement can help create a deficit. Also, now more than ever patience is crucial, especially for women. Consider even a one pound loss in a month a success. Good luck!
  • ckfromedmonton
    ckfromedmonton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am short too 5'2.5#. I never had big numbers but I have been trying to take off perimenopause weight for 10 years. I am finally making veryyyy slow progress: no eating back calories, no wine (this is key) 1100 calories a day net. I am not too hungry so I feel I can do this for the next few months it will take to lose the last 8-10 lbs. measure, don't calculate, stay the course!
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Of course it does come down to overall calories but the OPs problem is feeling too hungry at the right number of calories, and thus suggesting she avoid all processed sugary foods makes sense in order to maximize the nutritive value of the food. Filling up those calories with bulky low calorie vegetables and low calorie proteins like lean chicken seems more likely to allow her to feel satiated at the same number of calories than for instance anything with high sugar content and low nutritive value. I'm guessing the OP has already done this.

For me, aerobic exercise makes me less hungry and makes it much easier for me to feel satisfied on less. It also makes it a bit easier to stay under goal. And of course strength training is going to be the most useful for weight loss. My suggestion would be to look for any way possible to increase the exercise component.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    I can do some walking but not for too long and thays about it
    Not sure if it helps ...
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would try a very small deficit - 100 calories a day less than you are currently consuming. If your injury is something that will heal with time eventually you could start working out for more calories.

If you've tried consuming just a hundred less calories and are still too hungry even if you reached your goal weight it probably wouldn't be maintainable at your current activity level as you'd have to eat less.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Hello just curious how many calories shorties ( I'm 5'1) eat ...
    Im stuck at my last 10 lbs and can't work out due to injury, if I eat around 1500 cals I don't lose if i go down to 1350ish im too hungry , and I've tried in between too ...
    Just having trouble to find the right number for me

5'1
    SW 185lbs
    CW 135lbs
    GW 125lbs
    Eating 1330cals to lose .5lb/week (not working)
    Been stuck for 3 months
    Log accurately/use scale

Tips are welcome too :)

I am almost 5'5. I work out now 6 days a week and try to stick to 1200 a day. It's a bit tougher when there is less to loose. I try not to eat back my exercise calories. I was loosing at a very slow rate until I rev'd up my workouts doing 20 mins of high intensity interval training prior to my 1 hour strength training sessions. I sit for my work the rest of the day so that doesn't help much. I can't manage to lower my cals anymore so I just amp up the exercise. It will work! What type of injury? Is there no exercise you can do? Walking nothing??
    Also be sure to get lots of fiber and drink your water
    Good luck
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    I'm 4'11", currently at 133 and trying to ultimately get down to 105. I'm back here after gaining what I lost last year. I got complacent and it quickly caught up with me.

A few things that are true for short gals:

1. WEIGH and MEASURE all foods and drinks. Once I started doing this, I got a huge reality check about how much I was really eating. If you're not weighing your food already, get yourself a digital food scale. I got mine for $8 on Amazon.
    2. Add foods that are high in protein, fat and fiber to address hunger. They will keep you fuller for a longer time than refined carbs and sugars. Some suggestions: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, tuna, salmon, all the veggies.
    3. If you're down to those last few pounds, I find that cutting out alcohol altogether can make a difference (if that's something you're consuming).
    4. Ditto on the walking. Any extra movement you can get in to your day is going to help. So if you walk for 10 minutes now, add another 5. Clean the house more, do some gentle yoga (tons of stuff on YouTube), etc.
    5. BE PATIENT.

It just takes longer for us to lose those last pounds. Don't give up, you'll get there - you've done so great already!

Thank u so much :)

• MollyMS77
    MollyMS77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5' and I have been the most successful when I intermittently fast most days of the week and save most of my calories for later in the day (usually coffee/tea/water during the morning, ~350 calories for lunch and the rest for supper/snacks). I can't stand to go to bed hungry and I WILL go for a snack if I'm hungry at bedtime--my weakest time!

It also helps when I make it a priority get my protein goal in (for me 25% of my calorie goal)--helps me feel full/satisfied longer.

I agree that any extra movement (that MD deems safe) will be helpful.
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    MollyMS77 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm 5' and I have been the most successful when I intermittently fast most days of the week and save most of my calories for later in the day (usually coffee/tea/water during the morning, ~350 calories for lunch and the rest for supper/snacks). I can't stand to go to bed hungry and I WILL go for a snack if I'm hungry at bedtime--my weakest time!

It also helps when I make it a priority get my protein goal in (for me 25% of my calorie goal)--helps me feel full/satisfied longer.

I agree that any extra movement (that MD deems safe) will be helpful.

How many hours do you fast ? And how many calories are you at ?
    I try to leave calories for later on the day but i fibd its hard for me to function without a decent breakfast.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    tallulah81 wrote: »
    Could be the quality of the food you're consuming... when you get down to the last ten pounds your diet has to be 95% on point! Absolutely no processed and limit dairy... due to sugar...

Since a bunch of people jumped on this- I want to defend her comment. When your calorie allotment is below a certain point, you do have to be mindful about excess sugar and fat in order to fit in protein and fiber-containing foods, which will help you feel full. -which means us shorter gals near healthy weight will need to cut down (a lot) on those foods. (though this definitely does not include higher protein dairy like yogurt and cottage cheese, however the high sugar flavored yogurts can be troublesome to fit into lower calorie diets).

My advice would be that you may need to eat "cleaner" to feel satisfied on ~1300 calories. Keep an eye on the macros - are you low on protein, are you low on fiber?

Add exercise in if you can, even if it is just walking.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. But, my habits have gotten a little sloppy on the weekends. As a result, my hunger is higher during the week due to increased cals on the weekend. Trying to be positive about this plateau period and using it as "practice" for when I finally lose the final 5. It looks like everyone has already given lots of great advice, just know you are not alone. We can do this!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!