Need Recommendations on Cycling (Bicycle) Trainers

Options
Greetings MFP Cyclist!!

I have just recently into cycling, but leaning towards off road trails (unpaved) and paved trails and occasional road rides. Given that I am on a variety of terrian, I have purchased a mountain bike vs a road bike and have been very happy with my decision.

Living in the mid-west the heat and humidity can be brutal in the summer months like we are currently and that can limit ride time outdoors to wee early mornings or night riding when the outdoor temperatures are this high. Trying to ride to beat the heat while balancing work and family life does not help either.

That said, I have decided to look into purchasing a trainer for when conditions do not allow me to ride outside. I have done some research and have pretty much decided on going to a fluid type trainer since they seem to be able to closely mimic the type of riding conditions that I would be up against outdoors. I have looked at the CycleOps, Kinetic and and Blackburn models and cant really decide. In addition, I don't have a big budget either and my limit is going to be around $200. I will also have to purchase a cheap mountain bike tire for the winter months.

Can any of the MFP cyclist give any recommendations on a Fluid type trainer that would be compatible with a mountain bike or any recommendations at all for what I am trying to attempt?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• robbdc
    robbdc Posts: 4
    Options
    I've had the cycleops fluid for over 8 years and it's held up nicely. Plus, it offers a pretty nice feel. I'm riding indoors as well today. Way too hot!
  • lilmeg
    lilmeg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a CycleOps fluid trainer and liked it a lot. I've heard Kinetic are the best right now based on how they are built. The fluid chamber is located in a spot where it can be changed if the seals on the chamber go (where you can't change them on other models). My CycleOps chamber just went this winter, so it does happen. I didn't want to shell out the money, so went with a mag trainer instead for this round. Good luck!
  • dfulgoni
    dfulgoni Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi. I picked up a Kinetic trainer off of Craig's List last year and have been happy with it so far. Seems really well made. Think I paid just about $200 for it used, but it was in great condition. Also FYI, you might want to look into a couple of the Spinveral DVD's as it makes the training a little less boring and they can give you a pretty good workout in a short period of time (or there are really long workouts as well, I can only take 30-60 minutes on a stationary trainer before going crazy).

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • rtjonespe
    rtjonespe Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a Computrainer which I really like but it is way over your budget, they are closer to $2,000 then $200 and i wouldn't recommend something like it unless your indoor training got pretty serious. But what you should look into is a tire for when you are on your trainer. Trainer tires are a special compound that is quieter and will last longer than a regular tire. Also if you going to do a trainer one day and a outdoor ride the next a wheel setup with the trainer tire will be the best. You can change out the rear wheel in about 30 seconds and you won;t be wearing out your outdoor tire and won't be getting dirt on your trainer.