Taking up jogging

Options
I'd like to work my way up to running but I'm starting with light jogging. I have mild asthma but it doesn't prevent me from exercising, I just have to start out slower. I went for my first jog today. It wasn't a long one but I'm new to this. Any suggestions from experienced joggers/runners?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Read the sticky post called "Most helpful posts". If you still have questions, just ask. :+1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The C25k, or Couch to 5k,program is a good beginner's program. It has you work up to 30 minutes of running over a period of 9 weeks. You start off with run/walk intervals which slowly move you into full runs after several weeks.
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been running for decades, but I recently had an injury and had to start back slowly. I could still walk briskly (3,5 mile/hour), so I was still in okay shape. But what I did was a combination walk briskly/run or jog. Depending on your fitness level, try to exercise 5 times a week, with 2 rest days. Start out walking and when you're warmed up jog some, without over-taxing yourself. You can start with 5 minutes walk, 2 or 3 minutes jog x 3 each and work yourself up. I'm now up to 5 minutes walk and 15 minutes run at 10 per mile pace x 3 each after 4 weeks. Tomorrow, I'll just walk for 30 minutes and a rest day the next day......then back to walk/run day. I also stretch, do a little weight training and foam roller (very tight IT bands). But be sure your doctor is okay with any exercise uptake you plan to do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd like to work my way up to running but I'm starting with light jogging. I have mild asthma but it doesn't prevent me from exercising, I just have to start out slower. I went for my first jog today. It wasn't a long one but I'm new to this. Any suggestions from experienced joggers/runners?

Couch 2 5k...

And running and jogging are the same... if both feet are off the ground it's running...
  • 123emarkley
    123emarkley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks those are all extremely helpful. I will definitely use those tips.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    C25K...also, get fitted for proper shoes at a running specific store.
  • lobsterthang999
    lobsterthang999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi been a jogger for years now, just start off slow and keep trying to make progress. Wether thats running further or faster, both are progress. Also my biggest bit of advice is take it steady!!! Too many ppl make the mistake of going hell for leather when they start up any exercise programme and burn themselves out too quickly. Then they give up. I would run 2/3 times a week to start with and you can build on that if you get the running bug. Also change your route every time but have a few staples that you fall back on when you know how long you have for your run if your pushed for time!!! Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

So your problem with jogging is that it's a sure-fire way to end up finding a dead body in the woods.

As upthread, using some sort of plan like C25K will help you develop the capacity whilst minimising your risk.

I'd support the suggestion of dedicated shoes for running in, but personally I'm not a strong advocate of gait analysis unless you're having trouble. Certainly not for the first few weeks as your gait won't have settled until about half way through the plan.

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've started and stopped running several times. Best advice I can give you is to increase your distances slowly, increase your speeds slowly and, once you reach a certain level of confidence that you can push yourself a little without fear of injury, vary up your pace and distances on a regular basis, both for the health benefits and to relieve boredom. Run hills, run some sprints, change things up on a regular basis. Running with a friend or group is a good idea as well, for the social aspect and the motivation, and your local running store will likely have groups organized for that purpose. I bought a Garmin wrist monitor to measure my distance/pace/time etc. and I find it an invaluable resource just to keep track of everything, know how far I'm running etc.

I'd also suggest lifting weights or doing bodyweight exercises in addition to running. If all you do is endurance running for your hardcore activity, it has a tendency to consume some muscle as well as fat if you are losing weight while doing so. The sprints and hills will definitely help with that, but doing upper body work and some leg work is a good idea.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    C25K
  • Mogan82
    Mogan82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started running at 4 months postpartum, 6 years ago. I would run the same route 3-4 mornings per week and each week I would increase my distance by 1-2 blocks. I think the key is slow jogging to begin with. It took me 3 months to work up to 4 miles and then I felt confident to increase my mileage more aggressively. I ended up running my first half marathon at 11 months postpartum. Run/walk programs never worked for me. I'm sure it is mental, but for me once I take a walking break I'm done running for the day.
  • jenmek
    jenmek Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was around 250 lbs. I started on a treadmill doing just 10 -15 seconds at a time. I increased over time using small goals (30 seconds, 1 minute, 1/2 mile, 1 mile, etc.). I've since run marathons and love the therapeutic nature of running.

I totally agree about the post regarding going to a running store to get fitted for the right running shoes. This is CRUCIAL and can help remain injury free. They will watch your walk (or maybe run) and look at how your ankles support (or don't) your body. They will suggest shoes that accommodate your body. They will often present different manufacturers and you pick the best fit. Running stores usually have a 30 day warranty, so if the shoes you buy aren't right after a few weeks, you can go back and they'll put you in different shoes. Good running stores are critical for a runner and offer the best support a runner needs. I was put in running shoes for the heavier person, so they had more cushioning. I never got injured during my initial weight loss journey because (I believe) I spend the money on the right running shoes.

Additionally, what I didn't see suggested above, it to ease into running by being mindful of the surface you're running on. A treadmill is great to start on because it's the softest surface you'll find. As your body becomes stronger, you can build up to harder surfaces. If you go from treadmill to gravel to asphalt to cement, you'll ease your body into it. Cement is the hardest surface you'll run on. Starting with cement can cause you issues...especially if you have poor running shoes.

Speaking of cement, when you are at the running store, if your normal surface is cement, they will usually allow you to take the new shoes outside so you can run on your normal surface. They also have a treadmills in the stores for you to test your running shoes on that surface, if that's what you use (or if you just need to test out running in the shoes you have on).

I completely agree with the person that suggested weight training. Focusing on a strong core, glutes, calves, hamstrings and quads will help prevent injuries. Upper body work is helpful, as you swing your arms and they do help you propel forward, but it's not AS important as core and lower body work.

Good luck and have fun with it.