Going on holibobs

Options
Going away so have to admit am a bit nervous as I usually weigh, prepare, cook and log my own food but this is going to be difficult as staying in a hotel so can't track as I would usually.
Any tops tips?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I learned a new word today, "holibobs"!
    Portion control is your friend. Eat about half of what is served, split dishes when possible. Use your clenched fist as a visual guide to a reasonable portion size for more proteins and carbs (meat, pasta, potatoes, etc.). Keep in mind that most restaurant meals have the same or more calories as most of us eat in a whole day! Limit bread, potatoes, pasta, booze, and dessert because this is where calories add up fast. I'm not saying don't eat these foods, but limit how much you eat. One roll, not three or four. One glass of wine, not a whole bottle, a small portion of pasta, not the whole plate. Eat lots of veggies, salad, fruit, and water.
    You just need to estimate your quantity. Many restaurants are in the MFP database. If not, use an entry for a similar dish. Someone suggested to add 1/2 stick of butter to any restaurant meal, LOL! I don't do that, but they're probably right.
    Take your usual snacks with you if you can and buy a few things at the grocery store when you get to your destination, if possible.
    Have fun and don't get freaked out by the scale when you get home!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I've been on many trips since losing weight and I've never gained anything significant.

My two cents are: Enjoy your trip. Don't spend it stressed out about food or calories, spend it enjoying the company of the people you are with and enjoying the foods.

And don't talk about it! Don't be that person who is stressed out about their meals. No one wants to hear it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I typically enjoy myself on a vacation...that doesn't mean I go nuts with things, but vacations are for enjoyment, not stressing out. It's fairly easy to make reasonable choices for the most part and indulge a little here and there.

Frankly, I've never gained weight on a vacation other than airplane bloat...when I'm on vacation, I'm typically pretty active and out and about seeing the things that need to be seen.

I went to Colombia back in May...I inadvertently lost 3 Lbs on the trip despite enjoying the local fare (granted their portions are smaller than we are used to) and drinking copious amounts of beer and smoking cuban cigars.

ETA: when I'm on vacation, I also rarely snack which I do at home...and often only eat two meals...usually a late breakfast or early lunch and a nice dinner.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday, enjoy your food but don't stuff your face. Take a break from logging - it won't hurt you, you don't forget how to eat just because you don't record it.

Keep in mind how many weeks there are in a year.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try and find a real grocery store and pickup some healthy snacks. I now bring a lot of food with me that are staples so just dinner and the odd snack like chips or desert is outside the norm. It's quite hard to eat healthy on the road otherwise.
  • sarahills
    sarahills Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks All, that's great advice. I'm a 100 days logging tomorrow so will have to keep my streak up but as you all say, I won't stress and won't over indulge. Going with my daughter on a girly holiday so guaranteed there will be a cocktail or two so I'll stick to the less sweet ones. Thanks again everyone
  • sarahills
    sarahills Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    P.s. I've even taken my gym gear and swimming costume as there is a pool/gym and Spa so I'll earn the extra calories every morning BEFORE I 'spend' them. o:)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It's a great experiment as to how much we've learned when weighing our food and now guessing at food portions.

Just one note flying and eating out will cause water retention be prepared for that.

And holibob? I'm gonna start using this I love it!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    One tip that usually works for me: if you still have few days before you start your vacation, eat at a deficit until you leave and maybe knock down a lb. or two, or increase your workouts so you burn more calories.

Have fun with your daughter and consider the logging break as a teaching tool to see how much did you learn about portion control. And of course, try to walk as much as possible unless you can occasionally use the gym at the hotel.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Got to agree with some of the other posters. Enjoy your vacation and don't fret about it. Started maintenance September 2016 at about 208 pounds.

I went on vacation twice since then one time in October one time in January. Can honestly say I drink too much I ate too much there were probably some days I drink my calorie limit alone. My current weight is 208 which is what I made my maintenance goal.

Yes when I get come back from vacation I put on six or seven pounds but I believe a lot of that was water weight because of the food and the alcohol probably took me 2 weeks to get back to my normal weight.

What you have to remember is this is a long-term Journey you're embarking on and you're really have to enjoy the journey. You're going to have your ups and downs but you've developed the success habits and you know what you're doing.