To the Ladies: Question about TTOM!!

Options
Last week into this week is my "would be" time of the month (I'm on Seasonique, so I only get my period every three months) and I am up 3 pounds that isn't budging!!! Everyone keeps telling me that it's just because it's "that time" but I never really know if that's just a myth. Do you girls notice an increase in weight during your week?

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Oh yeah! I usually have a weight difference! It's so annoying!
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Totally - I am usually up 3-5 lbs and since I know that about myself, I don't bother to weigh in during that week!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - even if I drink lots of water. I just have to deal with it and within a few days those few pounds go away like they had never been there. My clothes usually are a bit tighter for a couple of days also. I was told it was due to water retention and I should drink lost of water. Did that and other than having to run to the ladies room a ridiculous amount of time the scale still didn't budge and I felt gross with all that water sloshing around in my belly :sick: Good luck - in a few days things should be fine:wink:
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Yes I notice a huge increase, like 3 to 5 pounds during that time of the month.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yep :(
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up 3-5 lbs during that time.
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    wiiierd.... i dont ever gain during tom. hmmmm..... i guess i should consider myself lucky! :] i didnt know so many people gained.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    UGH! How long does it last for you? I've been up 3 lbs for a full week!
  • bhawk82
    bhawk82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Every month! At least 3-5 lbs of bloating. It stinks. :mad:
  • cds193
    cds193 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 3 to 5 lbs but goes off as soon as its all over. BUT if i manage to keep my weight the same during TOM i will lose 3 to 5 lbs.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think your body retains more water and such when it is that time of the month :) Hang in there, it should all go away after it clears out of your system (At least that is what happens to me).
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! That's how I know it's coming. I gain 2-3 pounds a few days before, despite no change in eating or exercise. I "feel" a little more flabby around the middle, not sure I actually "become" more flabby (although at 42, that's where my flab seems to hang out these days). After it's gone, the weight falls back down.

I was on the pill for 22 years, had a few procedures 18 months ago (one was getting tubes tied). So now I'm not on anything, and therefore have no idea when TTOM is coming...... but for the sudden spike in weight.

Hang in there!
  • dddttt
    dddttt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I definitely do! I heard it's about our bodies storing in water. I don't have any idea about the system behind it, though. For me it usually is that I gain weight (or don't lose it at best) before period and then lose it rapidly after it's over.

Sigh, as if periods weren't already frustrating as they are. ;)
  • taniux88
    taniux88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    same here :grumble:
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    For sure! Mine can go up from anywhere between 3-5 lbs
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Read an article about this...

They kept women on strict diets, ones who had normal periods, etc. Apparently, about 7-10 days BEFORE your TOM you'll be hungrier, and will probably eat 100-300 extra calories per day (they're guessing it gives your body more energy to start the process. Surprising there hasn't been more research done...). Nearly all the participants gained weight right around 2-3 days before starting. Once they started, most of them experienced weight loss, back to the normal weight. So yes, your weight's probably going to do CRAZY things around your TOM - AND those pre-TOM cravings are NECESSARY so eat all the chocolate you want, your body accounts for it :)
  • Kmdforsythe
    Kmdforsythe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 5lbs right around that time, but I usually lose it a day or two after. Boy I hate seeing the scale go up, but it sure feels good to see it go down 5lbs!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I usually gain about 5 pounds right around that time, but usually lose it the next week. If I know that's what it is, I don't let the gain bother me because I know I'm doing things right.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    So funny how many period questions there are from women that have had their periods for years. Like it's a new disasterous toy or something.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know mine is near...so I haven't weighed myself for 3 days, and don't plan to until it's done. I don't want to see that scale move in the wrong direction even if I know why!