Want Running Buddies!

Options
I've been on MFP for the past couple of months, and love everything about it. However, I have recently started running, and am quickly becoming addicted. I'd love to have some new friends who especially like running too. Running in 80º temps with 100% humidity isn't easy, so I need all the pointers I can get!!!

Replies

• jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've recently become addicted to running as well. What a great time to start, huh? We've had a 100+ heat index the last couple of weeks!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Welll.. I dont have those temperatures to run in.. It is much cooler where I am at. But I am a runner.. (or atleast I call myself that others might beg to differ lol)

But yeah!

My favorite tip that has helped so much is this

When Running land on your LEFT foot as you exhale, this will prevent Side Cramps. When you Exhale and land on your right foot it jarrs your liver or some organ that causes shooting pain. so to fix that simply land on your left foot as you exhale...

It is a Old wives tale but IT TOTALLY WORKS! my guess is that it has something to do with regulated breathing, but when i regulate my breathing and land on my right foot I get side aches.. so I am sticking to my left foot!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love running.... A LOT. But I've found myself curled up inside my Air Conditioned home. I CANNOT deal with the heat! I have no tips to help with the weather. :( I can't figure it out myself! SIGH. Well, other than go early in the morning, or when the sun goes down... bring LOTS of ice cold water, etc.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I live in texas....heat over 100 everyday....but i have been running for a couple of months now and i absolutely love it....it is very addicting......what i have found that works for me is i chew gum while i run...keeps my mouth moist...i don't bring water with me because i hate to carry anything! You can add me if you want.....i am now running a little over 3 miles and doing insanity!
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I want some running buddies too!! Feel free to add me!! I am OBSESSED with running!!!
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I live in texas....heat over 100 everyday....but i have been running for a couple of months now and i absolutely love it....it is very addicting......what i have found that works for me is i chew gum while i run...keeps my mouth moist...i don't bring water with me because i hate to carry anything! You can add me if you want.....i am now running a little over 3 miles and doing insanity!

HAHA I use the gum trick too!!! :)
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Likewise!! But I bring water. I get thirsty anywaysss.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am a runner.

7 marathons, 3 ultras (50ks), countless halves and 5ks. :) I have more race shirts than normal shirts. lol.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

Likewise!!

If you're running that short, it might be okay, but increase your runs at all, and you should probably be drinking. Just putting off your thirst mechanism is a bad idea. It's a good way to get really sick.
  • AmberLiscous
    Options

Likewise!!

If you're running that short, it might be okay, but increase your runs at all, and you should probably be drinking. Just putting off your thirst mechanism is a bad idea. It's a good way to get really sick.
    Thanks.....for now i am comfortable with three miles....maybe after i am done with insanity i might up that some...and i will definitely take your advise!!!
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    Thanks.....for now i comfortable with three miles....maybe after i am done with insanity i might up that some...and i will definitely take your advise!!!

Ok. And I'm not trying to be a jerk. So, I hope I didn't come off that way.

I'm a pace leader and it's like pulling teeth to get some of my runners to carry water belts or bottles. I can't make them and I can't tell them exactly how their bodies work because we're all different, but certain basics and help are the same for everyone. Unfortunately, some don't listen until they have a really bad/hard run first. I just want everyone to enjoy their runs as much as possible, not be in agony.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-distance runner in Oklahoma, and I run in temps over 100 degrees almost every day, and the humidity is bad too. If you're new to running, I suggest taking it easy at first regardless of the temperature, drink plenty of water, and don't over do it. If I feel a little sick before my runs or something doesn't feel right, I won't run. In addition, if I haven't drunk enough water throughout the day, I won't run. In order to stay in the running game for a long time, you have to listen to your body, rest, and train with common sense goals in mind. I wish you well on your running journey. It's a great way to work through problems, think about life, and enjoy the world around you.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    LOVE running now - Thanks, C25K!! But the heat warnings scare me (and apparently everyone around me - "you'd better not run today." "I hope you don't run today.")

I'm stuck. Since I started running outside, I've become to not like the treadmil! What's a girl to do? It's already 80something by 6 or 7am.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am training for my third half marathon this year in September. I have always loved running.
  • AmberLiscous
    Options
    Thanks.....for now i comfortable with three miles....maybe after i am done with insanity i might up that some...and i will definitely take your advise!!!

Ok. And I'm not trying to be a jerk. So, I hope I didn't come off that way.

I'm a pace leader and it's like pulling teeth to get some of my runners to carry water belts or bottles. I can't make them and I can't tell them exactly how their bodies work because we're all different, but certain basics and help are the same for everyone. Unfortunately, some don't listen until they have a really bad/hard run first. I just want everyone to enjoy their runs as much as possible, not be in agony.

Not a jerk at all....my brother is always yelling at me to take a water bottle also...a water belt is a good idea...maybe i will look into one of those for when i start running further....Thanks
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    I am a runner too. I started with walking last year and did 3 5K walks. I even came in 1st in my age group in one! This March I started running. I have done 2 5Ks so far and now my goal is to do one in 30 minutes or less! Next year I have a goal to do a 10K. I also chew gum and carry water. I have a water bottle that also has a mister on it so I can spray my face. I have not been running this week because of the heat and humidity. Feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    I don't run unless the sun is down.