Do I need to take a supplement?

Options
I have recently started adding a lot more workouts and doing weight lifting, I feel great but am being hit from every which direction that I need to take something to make sure I am fueling my body correctly and/or allowing my body to recovery correctly. At first I brushed it off, all are MLM type deals, but after being told by oh I don't know by 8 different people what I should be taking I thought I would ask here.

I have had a lot of protein shakes pushed -- saying I need the protein right after working out. Advocare, especially the catalyst pill. Arbonne shake and cleanse. And some other one my husband's cousin does that is a cleanse and shake combo with pills.

Although those are MLM deals that I don't buy into, should I be taking something? I hit my protein goal each day (as well as carbs and fat), feel good and eat when I am hungry.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Supplements are meant for people who have trouble meeting their nutritional goals through their normal diet. Since you're easily hitting your macro goals arealy, I see no reason for you to take additional supplements.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Supplements are meant for people who have trouble meeting their nutritional goals through their normal diet. Since you're easily hitting your macro goals arealy, I see no reason for you to take additional supplements.

^^ Basically this!

(I might also add that some (a lot) of the supplemental products out there really aren't necessary at all, but they sell because people want to believe it's really as simple as using an over priced supplement and seeing results...)

I use whey protein when it's more convenient than a meal, but you can buy that at Walmart or a grocery store for a reasonable price. Other than that I take a few vitamins for things I know I'm lacking in.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't need anything.
    Like said above, some use protein as a convenience, and some use it because they don't get enough from the foods they consume. You sound pretty solid.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciate it.
    I avoid the MLM diet stuff but am totally getting why people fall into it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    (sorry for the typos...I meant to type "already")
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    (sorry for the typos...I meant to type "already")

Funny thing is I had to go back and look again, first time I had read 'already'

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

only caveat would be if you haven't updated those goals for the increase/change in your workout pattern. AND if after adjustment it turns out you're not meeting those updated goals. i was surprised to find out after i'd been doing a new bike commute for a couple of weeks that the extra riding meant that i ought to be getting additional protein, for instance. since i don't think of cycling as being strength work, and since i associate my protein preoccupations with the strength work . . . yeah. i was slightly surprised.

but you say you feel great, so, y'know . . . /meh to the mlm things. if you DO start to feel like you're falling behind, then by all means re-think. but personally i'd rethink from a sober personal-evidence kind of basis, not from what someone else tries to tell you you need.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Do not buy cleanses ever. If your liver and kidneys weren't capable of doing the job do people really think we'd still be walking around? The only thing I'd suggest is a multi vitamin and maybe some omega 3s. Other than that if you're hitting your macros you're doing wicked, just make sure you're getting enough rest
  • masoi13
    masoi13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used whey protein post workout and sometimes for breakfast with fruit.