New, out of shape, and busy

Options
Hi all! So I am newly focusing on my health, I am getting married next year and want to get back in shape. I want to start going back to the gym, or getting any exercise at all, and want to bring my fiancé with me. Any suggestions on how to get he and I both motivated to go? Perhaps a challenge we can do together, any at home routines people like? We have both officially hit overweight (just barely) so we're certainly not looking for any insanity-type programs, just looking to incorporate more exercise into our lives together. Any relatively easy gym challenges or at home workout suggestions to get us started would really help. Looking for something we can maintain and enjoy doing frequently, not something terrifying and awful. Cause that is what exercise is for us right now, and that has got to change! Lol

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Are you members at a gym? I find going to the classes they offer is a good way to get in and start getting used to some exercise.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not to derail, but you say you want to bring your fiance with you to the gym. Has he expressed any interest? If not, just go on your own. Pressuring him when he doesn't want to go is a quick way to make him an ex-fiance.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Not to derail, but you say you want to bring your fiance with you to the gym. Has he expressed any interest? If not, just go on your own. Pressuring him when he doesn't want to go is a quick way to make him an ex-fiance.

This is an important place to start from.

If he is on board, have you considered non-gym things that are fun for couples: hiking, dancing, bike riding

Or, each choose a workout on Fitness Blender (no peaking or discussing until it is chosen!). Sharing those workouts will give you each an idea of what the other is looking for in a workout better than any discussion.

It also helps me to have a list of activities. If I can't get motivated for one thing, there will be something else on there to do:
    -hula hooping
    -Wii fit games (EA Active)
    -walking
    -partnered dancing
    -line dancing
    -Zumba
    -biking
    -basketball
    -swimming
    -water aerobics
    -yoga
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I personally don't want a gym workout buddy as I like that time for just me. It helps me to reflect and not worry about someone else. For accountability I take a selfie and a pic of the machine to send to sis.

My biggest is advice is find things that come easy to you at first. Build a habit of enjoyment or you will have to fight harder to make it stick.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Consider active recreation activities....
    walk/run/cycling/swimming etc
    basketball, racketball, tennis, etc
    If you belong to a gym, checkout any classes they offer.... yoga, dance, etc.
    You can also check with your local parks and recreation dept to see if they offer any fittness classes or other fitness activities.
    Check with a local running store to see what programs they offer if you would like to take up running.
    Check Meetup.com to see if there are any meetup groups in your area for activities you might enjoy.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Do you have a park with a trail system near you? Get out and explore!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would defiantly recommend starting out with walks, hikes, playing tennis, etc. stuff you can enjoy doing together and slowly work up the intensity. Also, I agree with the others on making sure that is the fiancé's desire as well so you don't end up with the ex factor.