Multiple Sclerosis

Options
Hi--on Friday I was diagnosed with MS and about to be discharged from the hospital. The last couple of days have been emotional adjusting to my new life--but MS will not be the shot caller in my life I know that!

I am on my phone but found only a few groups that haven't been active in 2 years. I know I need to tighten up my diet to help me out as much as possible. Does anyone know of active MS groups on MFP or anyone with MS--what dietary changes did you make?

Again MS will not dictate my life, it will not ruin my life, but I know the life expectancy is 7 years shorter with MS and I want to maximize my life as much as possible!

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Hi, there. Sincere sympathy about your diagnosis. Like ActionAnnie, I don't have MS but my aunt did. Taking good care of yourself makes BIG DIFFERENCE so I commend you on your determination and wish you the very best.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your news. You've got an amazing attitude about it already!

I know of a few people who have had some success with The Wahl's Protocol, along with other therapies. It might be something to look into to see if that sort of dietary change appeals to you.

Best wishes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the website above and get involved. Sometimes they have meetings and things you can go to to learn about various topics related to MS. I have been with my mom before and they can be very informative and it can be helpful to meet others with your same condition.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do not have MS....but wanted to just send off good vibes to you.

You have a great attitude, which is key to any health concern.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your diagnosis, great attitude though, keep it!
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for the kind words! I will definitely check out the National MS Society for more info...so overwhelming with processing everything (and I want my vision to stop being double haha) but I feel the better prepared I am the better I will be at living my life the way I want! Again I appreciate all the good wishes, MS has no cure (yet) but it doesn't mean that it will rule my life :)
  • Madiandclancy
    Madiandclancy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know that this is a huge shock and am sending all good wishes your way. My primary symptom is vision issues as well and I thoroughly understand how frustrating it is. One of the foremost nutritional experts in this field is Dr. Terry Wahls, who authored The Wahl's Protocol. You can easily find out about her and her philosophy (nutrient dense foods to repair mitochondria) on the internet and her book is available at Amazon and in bookstores. With debilitating MS herself, she went from a wheelchair to her formerly active life and now, in addition to managing her medical practice, has a foundation that is doing research on the connection between MS and diet. Very best of luck to you.
  • MikeGettingSmaller
    Options
    My mother got MS when I was 8 years old so I grew up with a mother on MS and that was back in the 70's. Attitude is the biggest thing. The people that were overwhelmed and gave up had short uneventful lives. My mother never gave up and lived a long life and helped many people on her way. Two of the things that helped her a lot is #1 she did exercise in the pool, that took the strain off her body but let her exercise. #2 She made sure she took vitamins. You can do that by tracking the vitamins in the food you eat with the myfitnessPal app. Keep your head up and move forward with your life.
  • JSaus13
    JSaus13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    UGH! MS sucks!! I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago. I went through many emotions from anger to hopelessness to thinking I had a death sentence. I tried to get on different forums and discuss with others, but I felt in many of those forums, the people lacked a positive outlook. It was all "poor me" all the time. Right now? You're allowed to say poor me. This is all new to you. Though, it seems as if you don't even care about that poor me stuff. You are already on the road to greatness and dealing with this disease because of your attitude. I hope that you have a great doc who will take awesome care of you on this journey.
  • ioanahance
    ioanahance Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed in 1999, I was 25 years old. As you probably know, MS is very different in symptoms and progression from one person to another.
    There is no question that one of the best things we can do for ourselves is have a healthy eating plan and lifestyle. I read Dr Wahls book and it is amazing. Very thorough research and all backed up with peer review publications. I am trying to follow it
  • mrsfit2011
    mrsfit2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed for quit some time. My husband and I took the bull by the horns and try to be as healthy as possible and are always revamping our lifestyle. (I have not had progression in the disease for 11 years!). Some of the things for me that have been helpful are: always taking my vit D, Magnesium daily and my medication (I do the rebif shots). Avoid the heat and avoid it some more. Walk, walk, walk. Do muscle building activity . Drink water. Eliminate milk and decrease glutton (I love bread). We try to do as much non processed foods as possible. (100 day challenge is a great start). Also I try to connect with as much research or education on it. Finally we ditched the stress. Don't beat yourself up and reset yourself as often as needed. We have one exercise goal a year. Last year we did the dirty dash (so much fun!). I love reading all the great comments and suggestions here. Like Ioanahance says very different from on to the other. When you know what you have you can fight it so much easier :) Hugs to everyone staying strong and encouraging.
  • rwaarita
    rwaarita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have u heard about Dr Terry Wahls I recommend that you do some research about her she is amazing
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2003, but had symptoms since 1990. I have lost weight sticking to the calorie goals. I take an MS pill and vitamin D everyday. Good luck!
  • whatsupwendy
    whatsupwendy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have MS but I have some serious health issues. There are a couple of support groups on Facebook for MS, chronic health issues etc. I believe meetup (depending on what area you live) and some other resources should have MS support groups

I commend your positive outlook ... sending you a hug