175 days no scale... Drs on Feb 22nd should I get weighed.

Options
I am so curious. If I do...or don't. My Drs nurse will weigh me. But my back is turned not to see. I'm leaning towards don't. I still have a long way to go. Half way to a year. I lost my sister two weeks ago, and having a hard time sleeping.

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes, I thin you should get weighed from my understanding checking weight is something a doctor would always do during a doctor visit.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What's the reason you don't look? Are you trying to lose weight or gain? From personal experience, losing a sibling is one of the most difficult things to go through. You have my sympathy.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think you are asking if you should look when they weight you? Up to you. In the past, has it motivated you, or set you back? With me, I usually gain when I don't know my weight and I spend long periods of time away from the scale, but everyone is different.

Sorry to hear bout your sister. You should talk to your doctor about not being able to sleep, and maybe try melatonin.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No advice as it is personal choice but my condolences for the loss of your sister x
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm lost - what does your hard time sleeping have to do with the decision to look at your weight? Has looking been a problem in the past (I'm guessing it has since you know exactly how many days since you looked last?)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. My condolences.
    Like others in the thread, I'm a bit confused by what you are asking. Maybe you could clarify a bit? Are you asking if you should look, or should get weighed? Either, I think, is a personal choice.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wish I could stay away from my scale :( I'm obsessed with weighing myself every morning after my shower :( I would let her weigh you and put the date and weight on a piece of paper and fold it up. You can decide later if you want to see your progress!!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you have not been weighing yourself. There are so many possible reasons.

So sorry for your loss, that's so rough.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I wish I could stay away from my scale :( I'm obsessed with weighing myself every morning after my shower :( I would let her weigh you and put the date and weight on a piece of paper and fold it up. You can decide later if you want to see your progress!!!

Just an fyi-weighing after a shower can cause the scale to show a higher number. Try weighing yourself before you shower and then after, and see if there's a difference (mine is about a pound difference). Also, why do you consider weighing yourself once a day obsessive? I love the data my daily weigh-ins give me and it's a valuable tool for me :) Do you a weight trending app?
  • ImKaren768
    ImKaren768 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid that a gain will cause you to give up...don't look! Take time to heal but don't give up! Take MFP one day at a time! If you have a bad day...shake it off and come back again tomorrow. So sorry about your sister...
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. x

As for the scale, do what you think is best. I used to let the scale affect me, but then I started weighing daily. It helped me tremendously. When you weigh as often as I do it's hard to let one weigh in bother you too much.
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My family is crumbling, Too many cross roads. I am staying true to my goals, of eating healthy, Senior boy, lost his truck to a fire.... in the wheel bearing. He put all his love and money, making it his dream.. Husband dealing with PSTD after watching my sister die, Jumps in bed like a jumping bean, and his screams.... younger kids are panicky, And the list goes on n on. Thank you all for your caring thoughts.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and all you are going through. :(

Tell the nurse you do not want to know your weight and turn around. They should respect that! You "weigh in" when you are ready not because of a dr appointment. Tell the dr you do not want your weight discussed.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm lost - what does your hard time sleeping have to do with the decision to look at your weight? Has looking been a problem in the past (I'm guessing it has since you know exactly how many days since you looked last?)

She lost her sister so can't sleep it's says it in her post
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I hope you had a long discussion with your nurse. I'm sure talking the whole situation over would be beneficial. There has been so much going on in your life, you are not alone finding it hard to make sense of the whole thing and as usual its the woman in the middle who is supporting others around her putting herself to the bottom of the pile. It may be time to be selfish over your sleep, and for a few nights find another bed, believe me, I know the comfort which comes from a partners presence but necessity over .......? habit ? sometimes. In the past, I've left my bed so I did not disturb another's sleep.

Please accept a hug from this quarter. Please do what is right for you. Your weight numbers at this moment are probably not your priority but if you have reduced even a little knowing this may give you some encouragement. All the very best. Please put yourself first.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    HeyJude007 wrote: »
    I did get weighed started August 28th, 267 # down to on Feb 22 -2017, 214 # down 53 lbs. My Dr was very supportive, Very impressed at my diary, Now... I have to move on and keep going the mindful path for my future. Life is going the better. Nerves are all calming. I don't know how Drs and Nurses cope with all the variety of patients they have. OH well, Thankyou all for your support. I hope you are all doing well with your daily life.. Breathing was my big help.

Great job on the weight loss. Remember, you have to take care of you, so you can take care of others. Keep up the good work.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've gone back and forth on this. But, let me tell you.. i just spent months not weighing myself saying it was too demotivating. Guess what? When I finally weighed myself.. i had not lost a THING!. Months of intermittent fasting wasted because i stuck my head in the sand and didn't face the facts that I wasn't losing. It sure felt like work the entire time.. with zero results.

Now I'm weighing myself every single day so I can figure out patterns when i lose weight so I can get this done. Since weighing myself this week.. i'm down 2.5 pounds. This because I'm watching my food intake.. drinking my water.. and knowing I have to weigh myself in the morning makes me stick to a good plan.

i say weigh yourself.. and start facing the facts.. live a healthy life for you and your sister. Good luck.