Apple Watch - Should I be done?

Options
So I have an Apple Watch (present from the inlaws) and have had it for about a year and a half. I feel like it's fine - maybe underestimates calories - but mainly does what it needs to do. My question is this: I just started at a boxing gym. When i start the exercise app, I lock it, then wrap my handwraps around my watch so it's secure. Everything seems fine until I unwrap and the app either stopped tracking calories (time is still going) or has turned off completely.

Has anyone else experience this and have any advice? Should I just switch to a new fitness tracker - and if so, any suggestions? I'd like something I can wear all day to track movement, etc.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you're sure it's not getting the crown or screen pressed and it's still fitting appropriately under your gear, I'd actually ask in an Apple Store. I wear mine to play roller derby.
  • SoxxEBeotch
    SoxxEBeotch Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do Cardio Kickboxing and I push mine back behind where my gloves are (above my wrist area). The glove hasn't hit the crown or made any adjustments during my workouts at all. I haven't tried putting the watch underneath it, as the Velcro of my gloves couldn't be secured. Maybe try having the face of your watch turned to the underside of your wrist? Maybe you're bending your wrist back during your workout, and the glove is pressing the crown? Let us know! These watches are too expensive to not work how we need them! :)awbxup4t387l.jpg
  • mccoykd
    mccoykd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    12south.com has an arm band that would probably work for you. This will get it off of your wrist.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I also push mine up my arm when I wear my wrist guards. I also have it set so the crown and button are bottom left and isn't butting on anything. I cover it with a sweat band or cut off sock.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I'd turn it upside down as to face the crown towards your elbow.
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'll try facing it another way the next time I go! The wraps should be securing it in place and the app is locked though...but we'll see what happens!

Also does anyone think it underestimates calorie burn? Im taking it for what it is, but an old HRM I used to have always seemed much higher.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    When you say it underestimates, how do you mean? The Move calories or while logging a workout?
  • megjay18
    Options
    Like if I am in the exercise app, it'll say 400. But if I forget to enter the app for whatever reason, it'll say something like 200 burned all day. (Same workout, different day). Also I used to have an HRM with a chest strap and I feel like the calorie burn was much higher, just in general. But maybe I'm just in better shape? Idk.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    The Apple Watch doesn't track activity the way other activity trackers do. This likely explains why your calorie burns are lower with the Apple Watch. This article does a fairly decent job of describing how the Apple Watch functions as an activity tracker.

http://www.imore.com/apple-watch-activity-tracking-5-tips-you-need-know
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    OK so if you don't log a workout and just exercise, it doesn't really have much to go on. It calculates the green exercise ring by arm swing (lame I know), and the move ring/cals seem to be a combo of heart rate and steps. The preset workouts will make it pay better attention to what you are doing and give you a more accurate burn rate. I recommend starting a workout on the watch/phone whenever possible if you are doing dedicated exercise, it pays better attention plus if you are connected to MFP it's the only way your workout cals will make it over here.

Being in better shape also makes a huge difference. I have a preset run on my treadmill that used to burn me 250 active cals. Now I'm lucky to break 200. I've been using the AW and tracking all kinds of things with it for 8 months now and I find the burn rate to be reliable as far as my calorie deficit and weight loss.
  • megjay18
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! I tried switching the watch backwards (so the crown faced the opposite way) and that helped!

As far as calorie count, I suppose I'd rather underestimate the burn than overestimate so I'm going to stick with the watch for now.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the battery last longer...
  • NB2563
    NB2563 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd turn it upside down as to face the crown towards your elbow.

My husband does this exact same thing and it works for him.
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    megjay18 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! I tried switching the watch backwards (so the crown faced the opposite way) and that helped!

As far as calorie count, I suppose I'd rather underestimate the burn than overestimate so I'm going to stick with the watch for now.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the battery last longer...

If you have it set to wake when you lift your wrist it may be waking while you're doing your boxing workouts because of the wrist movement. Maybe try turning that function off so you have to manually turn on the screen (at least while you're working out)