One in 5 restaurant calorie listings is off

Options
From CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/07/19/restaurant.calories.off/index.html

"A new study by Tufts University nutrition researchers shows nearly one out of five restaurant dishes has at least 100 more calories than what a restaurant states on its website."

"According to the Tufts lab analysis, Chipotle's burrito bowl with rice, black beans, peppers, onions, lettuce, green tomatillo salsa and cheese had 703 total calories -- 249 more than what was expected based on information from the restaurant's website."

"At Olive Garden, Tufts found the chicken and gnocchi soup had 529 calories, which was 246 more than what would be expected based on the restaurant's website."

"At Boston Market, three pieces of dark meat chicken (two drumsticks and a thigh) had 572 calories, according to the lab analysis -- 215 calories more than what would be expected from the restaurant's nutrition information."

"...the Tufts lab analysis showed the classic blue cheese wedge side salad at Outback Steakhouse contained 1,035 calories -- 659 calories more than what would be expected based on what was on the restaurant's website."

"One food had more than 1,000 calories more than it was supposed to," Roberts said, referring to a side order of chips and salsa at On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina. "It was just shocking."

"On average, the calorie counts were accurate. However, the lab analysis showed that 19% of the foods tested had 100 or more calories in excess of what was on the website."

Replies

• Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe it. Eating out is so hard when trying to lose weight!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    So dumb!!
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    UGH. This is terrible news!
    It's not right for them to lie! Just be honest because people like me who enjoy going out to eat with friends socially on weekends have a harder time losing weight because what we think is a healthier option really isn't. It'd be nice not to cook once in a while and still trust the calorie count going into my food!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that just drives me crazy. It is hard if the food isn't prepared in the exact same way every time, but since I'm at a point where 100 calories makes a difference, it's frustrating. One of the reasons I try not to eat out excessively, altho it's a bit hard in the summertime since I've been traveling.
  • sheroar50
    sheroar50 Posts: 9
    Options
    off for sure!!! most restaurants will tell you what you want to hear....you already know what it takes to cook healthy yourself... reastaurants are more like assembly lines.....and to prepare a dish espectially for you...lowfat and all would take time to clean pans, grills, use special oils and measure....not cost efficient for them.....eating out is more a luxury these days for most, unless its done for convienence at a fast food restaurant off the dollar menu.....just have to plan for those times......OR JUST SAY NO...LOL
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for posting this!! That is exactly why when I do go out, I either order a kids meal or count it as my one free meal of the week and eat reasonably. Crazy and sad.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    another reason to prepare your own food, you can't trust anyone but yourself.

I would venture to say that this is because the people who prepare food in kitchens for most chain restaurants don't care about your portion sizing or about keeping costs down for their employer. They want to work fast and get food out the door, so they slop down a heaping spoonful of this or that, etc. without much care to weigh or measure. The employee at chipotle does not care if he/she gives you 1/2 cup of rice instead of 1/4 cup - but that could add another 160 calories to your meal.

I bet if the foods were prepared according to the sizes/amounts listed on those sites, the nutritional information would be much more accurate.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Yea if I have something that just seems to good to be true, I do my own calorie counting with the ingredients and amounts.