Need help with Calories please

Options
TwistMotionless
TwistMotionless Posts: 30 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a quick question about calories and how they're used in MyFitnessPal, I have an iPhone 6s+ with an Apple Watch Series 2, now with MyFitnessPal it counts the calories from my steps only, right? So for example, I walked 9,603 steps yesterday, which gave me an extra 230 calories I was allowed to eat, which sounds about right, NOW, here is where my confusion comes into play.

On my Apple Watch, today, I have 2,570 steps with an extra 23 calories I'm allowed to eat (according to MyFitnessPal), but on my Apple Watch according to the "Activity" app I've burned 391 calories, is this an extra 391 calories I'm allowed to eat? I'm not sure if this question makes sense, I've tried wording it the best I can, but I'm just very confused by all of this.

I'm 5'9 and 252 lb's, started the diet at 285 lb's, trying to lose weight and get to a goal weight of 170 lb's, I go to the gym 4 times a day an hour each day, and consuming roughly 1500-1600 calories a day without any extra calories added from MyFitnessPal, and eat accordingly with extra calories allowed.

Any feedback and help very much appreciated!! ^_^

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would ignore what Apple is telling you. Your activity setting on MFP already accounts for you walking some anyway. The extra 23 calories is just what you burned in addition to what was already accounted for.
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    I would ignore what Apple is telling you. Your activity setting on MFP already accounts for you walking some anyway. The extra 23 calories is just what you burned in addition to what was already accounted for.

Well the reason I ask is because I have a Polar H7 chest strap Bluetooth Heart Rate monitor that I pair with my Apple Watch to get a more accurate reading of my BPM for the gym, and when I was lifting weights, it was counting calories burned from that as well, something MyFitnessPal doesn't do, which is where my 391 calories came from on my Apple Watch's "Activity" app, should I ignore those calories still though? My main question is, those 391 calories my Apple Watch is saying I've burned, is that an extra 391 calories I need to be eating or no?

My main reason for asking is because I don't want to be under eating and lose weight unhealthily.
  • TwistMotionless
    Options

Well the reason I ask is because I have a Polar H7 chest strap Bluetooth Heart Rate monitor that I pair with my Apple Watch to get a more accurate reading of my BPM for the gym, and when I was lifting weights, it was counting calories burned from that as well, something MyFitnessPal doesn't do, which is where my 391 calories came from on my Apple Watch's "Activity" app, should I ignore those calories still though? My main question is, those 391 calories my Apple Watch is saying I've burned, is that an extra 391 calories I need to be eating or no?

My main reason for asking is because I don't want to be under eating and lose weight unhealthily.

Yes, i did not read your first post too carefully, but is your apple watch paired with MFP? It should be. If it is, it should add 391 calories to your diary.

The Apple Watch is paired to MFP, but it's not adding the 391 calories to my diary, no, the only thing it's keeping track of from my Apple Watch are my steps, and I've checked the settings for the Health app on iPhone and made all the permissions set to allow, but still it's not adding the 391 calories, only the steps, not sure why.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a quick question about calories and how they're used in MyFitnessPal, I have an iPhone 6s+ with an Apple Watch Series 2, now with MyFitnessPal it counts the calories from my steps only, right? So for example, I walked 9,603 steps yesterday, which gave me an extra 230 calories I was allowed to eat, which sounds about right, NOW, here is where my confusion comes into play.

On my Apple Watch, today, I have 2,570 steps with an extra 23 calories I'm allowed to eat (according to MyFitnessPal), but on my Apple Watch according to the "Activity" app I've burned 391 calories, is this an extra 391 calories I'm allowed to eat?

Probably not. It depends on exactly what Apple is including in that "activity". At only 2570 steps, there is zero way you've burned almost 400 calories from walking (which usually ballparks 100 calories per 2000 steps). So, my suspicion is that Apple is reporting all calories over-and-above BMR on that "activity" page.

If you're set to sedentary on MFP, MFP calculates your daily calorie burn as 1.2*BMR, so it assumes you're burning an additional 20% of your BMR living your life (corresponds to about 3,000 steps/day). It sounds to me like those calories are also being included in the Apple watch "activity" page. Which is why you're only getting an extra 23 calories on MFP. You've only burned 23 calories more than the 1.2*BMR calculated sedentary burn.

I could be wrong. But the numbers make sense that way.

TLDR: Don't eat extra calories from your Apple watch unless MFP tells you you get them.

(BMR = base metabolic rate = calories you'd burn if you were in a coma)
  • TwistMotionless
    Options

On my Apple Watch, today, I have 2,570 steps with an extra 23 calories I'm allowed to eat (according to MyFitnessPal), but on my Apple Watch according to the "Activity" app I've burned 391 calories, is this an extra 391 calories I'm allowed to eat?

Probably not. It depends on exactly what Apple is including in that "activity". At only 2570 steps, there is zero way you've burned almost 400 calories from walking (which usually ballparks 100 calories per 2000 steps). So, my suspicion is that Apple is reporting all calories over-and-above BMR on that "activity" page.

If you're set to sedentary on MFP, MFP calculates your daily calorie burn as 1.2*BMR, so it assumes you're burning an additional 20% of your BMR living your life (corresponds to about 3,000 steps/day). It sounds to me like those calories are also being included in the Apple watch "activity" page. Which is why you're only getting an extra 23 calories on MFP. You've only burned 23 calories more than the 1.2*BMR calculated sedentary burn.

I could be wrong. But the numbers make sense that way.

TLDR: Don't eat extra calories from your Apple watch unless MFP tells you you get them.

(BMR = base metabolic rate = calories you'd burn if you were in a coma)

The 391 calories were from weight lifting at the gym, with the Apple Watch on and paired with my chest strap Polar H7 BPM counter.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How long were you lifting? Heart rate monitors aren't particularly accurate for activities like weight lifting, and that sounds high.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for weight lifting.

If you have them paired and MFP isn't picking up the extra, then it is likely because it wasn't enough to add extra. On days when I don't walk as much, but do a workout (such as lifting) I don't always get extra calories because the workout isn't enough to compensate for the lowered activity through the rest of the day.
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    How long were you lifting? Heart rate monitors aren't particularly accurate for activities like weight lifting, and that sounds high.

An hour and a half.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    HRMs are not accurate for weight lifting.

If you have them paired and MFP isn't picking up the extra, then it is likely because it wasn't enough to add extra. On days when I don't walk as much, but do a workout (such as lifting) I don't always get extra calories because the workout isn't enough to compensate for the lowered activity through the rest of the day.

That makes sense!
  • TwistMotionless
    Options

Yes, you can not calculate a calorie burn from weight lifting with a heart rate monitor. When you lift your muscles contract. This tightens your blood vessels. To overcome this resistance your heart has to beat harder and faster. Your heart rate during weight training means absolutely nothing in regards to a number of calories you burn. I made this mistake for years.

What's a good way to track calories burned from weight lifting then?