i have a lack of self confidence

Options
Lets see I am 26 years old and I don't believe I have ever had self confidence. Growing up I usually wore a size 8-10 my mom called me thunder theights. On top of that I have a twin sister who has always been skinny growing up she used to call me ugly and fat. Well I have started to talk to a guy over the phone we have never actually seen each other but he is funny and seems really nice. I am worried he is gonna want to meet in person soon and I am worried the lack of self confidence is gonna scare him away. Any advice on how I can get self confidence and start to love myself?

Replies

• Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Honestly-the first step for me was to stop asking HOW to do it.

This is going to sound so simple it couldn't possibly work. So, you were told these things so often you believed them right? Well, why not start telling yourself the opposite. It won't be an overnight thing. Everything you think you are-you are. So start telling yourself something different.

Watch the Secret. I know it was corny, and rehashed and I still don't have my damn bike, but for internal stuff, I found it worked wonders. As far as dating goes, maybe you ought to work on yourself for yourself first. Dating is really just searching for approval from other people, and if you don't approve of yourself-what's the point?
  • daddyssunshyne
    Options
    Self esteem is just that. It resides in YOU. Nobody can give it to you, get it for you, or teach you how to have it. You have to find it within yourself.

Try focusing on what you LIKE about yourself, even if it isn't physical.

Confidence has NOTHING to do with size. I have learned since exiting my teens that I have no issue with self confidence and being comfortable with who I am, being comfortable in my own skin.

What made me that way? I decided that since I believed I was basically a good person, with good values and treated others well that it really did not matter what anyone else thought of me-which included how I looked. What does some random stranger's opinion of me mean to me anyway? How does it impact my life? It doesn't-unless I ALLOW it to. I am in control.

You just need to learn to build yourself up and not place so much importance on others. At the end of the day, YOU are the ONLY person whom has to look at you in the mirror each morning and live with what you see. Make it an image you like and can live with. And remember-that is NOT skin deep.

Sarah
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    People like confidence. Whether you're 80 pounds or 200, it's your personality that counts.

My younger sister is a twig, I'm short and stumpy. Do I let it bother me? No. Why? Aside from how I look, I know I have an excellent personality, and people like me for it. Even your hottest celebrities will get old and wrinkled one day. It's what's inside that counts.

Put an outfit on that you KNOW you look good in and flaunt it. People only notice flaws if YOU point them out.
  • colesearr
    colesearr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and this sounds cheesy, but until you do get further along in your weight loss, I would suggest some new clothes. Look up some things on line about your body type and really dress to flatter it. I know I feel terrible about myself when I'm just wearing whatever highlights what I think are my problem areas- even if others don't agree!

Sounds like you're getting a lot of negativity from people in your life about your body, and that's a shame. Your body is your business and no one else's, but unfortunately, internalizing this kind of stuff is sometimes impossible not to do. Have you told them your weight loss plans? How you feel about yourself? Maybe trying to explain that you're self-conscious about it will stop the comments and comparisons. It's extremely hard to self-improve without a support system.

If that's a bust- YOU HAVE ONE HERE. Try to block out all the negative comments and sign in here and really tear up the message boards.

And ultimately- EXERCISE. Not just for weight loss, so that you are more "acceptable to others." But purely for the mental boost and confidence that it naturally gives you.
  • GigiRoa81
    GigiRoa81 Posts: 10
    Options
    Confidence and Self love isn't something you gain over night hun. Your story really speaks to me because I have gone through similar situations, perhaps not as close to home all the time, but hurtful nonetheless. The truth is though, that without self love it doesn't matter what ANYONE else thinks, you will always feel like you don't measure up. I don't know what your mother and your sister's intentions were when they said those things to you; family can be so strange sometimes in rationalizing that by putting your down it may "motivate you to change the things they are criticizing", but what they don't understand is the damage that they do instead. I am sure you are beautiful and wonderful and have just gotten to a point where you don't see it because of other's perhaps misguided intentions. My advice for you is to start doing some positive affirmations. You can make your own up or even buy a book on them... there are even websites available online....and start telling yourself on a daily basis that "You are a wonderful, loving, intelligent, BEAUTIFUL person worthy and deserving of love".....but keep in mind hun, that NO ONE outside of you can prove that, you have to prove that to yourself first! Even if things don't work out with this guy, it doesn't mean that that should be something you beat and hate yourself about. Maybe he just isn't your prince charming after all and you just have to keep waiting! Therefore, regardless of that outcome continue to work on yourself and continue to tell yourself "YOU are a beautiful, wonderful, intelligent person deserving of love" because you are! Say until you believe it!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself and say it was a long process!

Really, it started with doing little things for myself. I would go places by myself that were originally considered for couples/groups only, like the movies. (Okay, maybe no one going alone to a movie ever got booted out, but it felt weird.) Or the bookstore - I'd go, buy a coffee, grab a bunch of books, find a couch, and read for hours. That was HEAVENLY. And no one there EVER said, "Hey, what are you doing here, you weirdo?" :)

Beyond that...a lot of it was faking it until it really happened. I'd have imaginary conversations with myself where people would compliment me and I'd graciously accept their praise, rather than say something off-putting the way I used to because I didn't believe a thing they were saying. (I still have trouble once in a while accepting compliments, but I'm getting there.) If I had to go somewhere new and talk to a stranger, I'd practice what I was going to say ahead of time, complete with a great big "Yeah, I got this" smile. I'm a bit shy around new people at first...at least on the inside. It's still kind of scary. If you met me in person I doubt you'd ever know it, though.

It's not about being false to yourself, as much as it might sound like it. It's about being different, yes, and opening up a part of yourself that maybe you never have before. Once you do it a few times, though, it becomes more natural and more a part of you.

Part of my self-confidence stems from one very important thing that I have FINALLY "gotten": I cannot change anyone else but me. Things that people say to hurt me still sting; I still wish certain people were different; but that will not happen. I, however, can be different in my reactions to them. I have that power. They don't get to choose how I react to them, and that's HUGE.

Does it always work? Pfft. Of course not. I'm human. But it does a lot of the time. :wink:
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Self esteem is just that. It resides in YOU. Nobody can give it to you, get it for you, or teach you how to have it. You have to find it within yourself.

Try focusing on what you LIKE about yourself, even if it isn't physical.

Confidence has NOTHING to do with size. I have learned since exiting my teens that I have no issue with self confidence and being comfortable with who I am, being comfortable in my own skin.

What made me that way? I decided that since I believed I was basically a good person, with good values and treated others well that it really did not matter what anyone else thought of me-which included how I looked. What does some random stranger's opinion of me mean to me anyway? How does it impact my life? It doesn't-unless I ALLOW it to. I am in control.

You just need to learn to build yourself up and not place so much importance on others. At the end of the day, YOU are the ONLY person whom has to look at you in the mirror each morning and live with what you see. Make it an image you like and can live with. And remember-that is NOT skin deep.

Sarah

^ THIS *
    something I'm learning to do.