Have to eat all those pesky fat calories??

Options
Hello hello,

Do I have to eat all of my alloted fat? I currently eat about half of what MFP suggests and do not feel like I am missing out on any choco cravings. I am very happy with my recent food selections (i.e. a bit under calorie goal every day; always go a bit over on protein, fiber, and iron) and would feel guilty if I pumped up the fat, as I am really wanting to tighten abs!

Suggestions? Also, can you check out my diary? If not, how do I make it public?

Thanks!

Replies

• KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I would not - I usually don't eat all mine either. To change your diary to public, at the top go to "Settings" the click on "Diary Settings" and change it from private to public :)
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Fat (at least GOOD fat) won't affect your tight abs goal. Refined sugar, bleached flour, etc. WILL DEFINITELY affect it. Don't worry about fats so much, especially if they're coming from lean meats, fish, nuts, etc.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I don't pay any attention to any of those columns except calories.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Eating fat does not equate to gaining fat. It's an essential nutrient. Don't fear it.
  • cjfoster
    cjfoster Posts: 36
    Options
    I try stay within or under my calorie goal..All those calories you acquire thru working out or nice but.......If I can hit my current goal or stay a little under I tend to loose weight.
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    I woudn't sweat over it. I don't think it would be bad not to meet that section, just as I don't get upset of I've gone over in vitamins. I think it might just be there to show the maximum of fat you can have, not tell you much you should be having.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all of my fat or all of my carbs (not purposely, it just happens...). I go on what my body tells me. If I'm feeling hungry, I may eat more fat or carbs, but in general if my calories are good and I don't feel hungry I just let it go. I'm not an expert or anything, just giving you my experience so far.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Eating fat does not equate to gaining fat. It's an essential nutrient. Don't fear it.

Exactly. Your body needs fat and can't absorb certain vitamins and nutrients without fat! If you do have a large amount of fat left, chocolate shouldn't be what you reach for. Think nuts, nut butters, avocados, oily fish like salmon...healthy fats. I don't sweat it when I have some fat left but I purposely don't eat "low fat." If I didn't eat over half of my fat goal, I'd try to bump it up by cooking in olive oil or eating any of the above mentioned foods.
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    Options
    Eat fat, its good for you. Stay away from hydrogenated fats. Saturated are pretty good in moderation.

People that say stay away from fat usually have the same thing in common, they are fat. If you consume less fat you are likely eating more carbs.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you are allotted. We all need some fat in our diets. Some vitamins are fat soluble and only work properly if you have some fat with them. But you don't necessarily need as much as your settings say.

You can also go in and change your settings so that you have a different % of your calories allotted to fat each day. I forget the default, but perhaps you would be happier with something like 50% carbs/ 20% fat/ 30% protein.

And as someone else has said, if it's your abs you want to show, then it's refined carbs that need to be monitored closely, not fats.
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would not - I usually don't eat all mine either. To change your diary to public, at the top go to "Settings" the click on "Diary Settings" and change it from private to public :)

Thanks!
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions...I'll aim for 70-ish% of my allocated daily fat and cook my morning egg in EVOO (thanks Melsinct) :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

What she said^^^^
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    I've actually been adding more fat to my diet and feel much fuller and happier. Healthy fats are just as important as carbohydrates and protein =)