So tired...exhausted really...

Options
Hi all! I'm Wade - a 29 year old male, 5' 9", 194#. I'm married and have 4 wonderful children.

In 2007-2008, I got serious about losing weight, and with the help of MFP, lost 75 pounds. I kept the weight off for about 6 years, but over the last 2 years, gained back about 45 pounds.

I started using MFP again early this year. I've lost 11 pounds so far. I'm meal-planning, eating much healthier and have taken total control of my portion sizes. My calorie goal is about 1550, though I honestly don't always hit that target. Along with eating healthier (lots of veggies), I typically only allow myself a sweet treat once or twice per week, which I feel is reasonable.

I have, however, noticed one big difference between losing weight before, and losing it now. I'm completely exhausted. So much so that I could fall asleep in the day, if that were an option. I'm laying in bed an extra 30 minutes after my alarm goes off in the mornings, have very little energy for anything extra, and can't wait to hop in the bed at night. It's gotten so bad that I've started taking a caffeine supplement in the mornings to help me get through the day (as I just don't like coffee or tea, and very rarely allow myself soda).

Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm hoping that my body is just adjusting to the daily calorie-deficit, and that it improves.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    I've been exhausted for quite a while, and it felt like it was for no reason. If i was too still, I thought it was because i wasn't moving enough. If i was running errands all day, i thought it was from all the running around. I was just exhausted. Then i got thinking it was mental? Wrong on all accounts. I went and told my doc what was going on, she looked me over and asked her questions, drew blood, and come to find out, I have hypothyroism which also caused iron-deficiency anemia. That wipes a person out. I'm on meds now and feeling so much better!

moral of story: you might want to check with your doc to make sure you're not deficient in anything or have something else.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since your goal is just above the minimum and you aren't meeting it, I would eat more. Change your goal to a pound a week and add in some calorie dense items such as nuts, nut butters, and full-fat dairy to reach your goal.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Lol... wondering how many of the 4 wonderful children were around in 2008? I'd be exhausted too! ;)

I agree... sounds like you need more calories. The process may be a bit slower, but you need to be able to live your life. What's your activity level like? My husband has similar stats and an active job and MFP gave him something like 2200 for 1 lb/week, plus he eats back his exercise calories.
  • Wadeeee
    Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Lol... wondering how many of the 4 wonderful children were around in 2008? I'd be exhausted too! ;)

I agree... sounds like you need more calories. The process may be a bit slower, but you need to be able to live your life. What's your activity level like? My husband has similar stats and an active job and MFP gave him something like 2200 for 1 lb/week, plus he eats back his exercise calories.

Good point...we only had two kids in 2008. Problem solved. :smiley:

Interesting point though...I really don't feel like I am eating too few calories. I have my goal set at 1.5 pounds per week. Because I work an office job, my activity level is set low (which is honest). I've had others suggest that I should try to work in some exercise, and that it will make me feel better, but just the thought right now leaves me even more exhausted. LOL.

I'll have to try eating more to see how it changes things.
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    I've been exhausted for quite a while, and it felt like it was for no reason. If i was too still, I thought it was because i wasn't moving enough. If i was running errands all day, i thought it was from all the running around. I was just exhausted. Then i got thinking it was mental? Wrong on all accounts. I went and told my doc what was going on, she looked me over and asked her questions, drew blood, and come to find out, I have hypothyroism which also caused iron-deficiency anemia. That wipes a person out. I'm on meds now and feeling so much better!

moral of story: you might want to check with your doc to make sure you're not deficient in anything or have something else.

Mine all started earlier this year, when I started dieting/losing weight, so my guess is that my situation isn't similar to yours. Though it couldn't hurt to be seen by my doctor just to be sure.

Just curious...what did your doctors prescribe to help your condition? An iron supplement?
  • try2again
    Options
    Wadeeee wrote: »

Good point...we only had two kids in 2008. Problem solved. :smiley:

Interesting point though...I really don't feel like I am eating too few calories. I have my goal set at 1.5 pounds per week. Because I work an office job, my activity level is set low (which is honest). I've had others suggest that I should try to work in some exercise, and that it will make me feel better, but just the thought right now leaves me even more exhausted. LOL.

I'll have to try eating more to see how it changes things.

How we *feel* about the number of calories we are eating isn't always a good guide as to what our body *needs*. I'd really go with 1 lb/week for now and see how it goes. You may find a 30 minute brisk walk energizes you somewhat, or get out & play with the kids if you don't already. If you do add exercise, definitely eat back some of those calories. :)
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    How we *feel* about the number of calories we are eating isn't always a good guide as to what our body *needs*. I'd really go with 1 lb/week for now and see how it goes. You may find a 30 minute brisk walk energizes you somewhat, or get out & play with the kids if you don't already. If you do add exercise, definitely eat back some of those calories. :)

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice!

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    you aren't eating enough. That's why you are tired. raise your calorie goal to a level where you are losing weight but not feeling exhausted.

This. My husband is shorter than you and weighs quite a bit less, and he's eating 1550 a day. You should definitely eat some more! :)
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think your calories seem low. Try not to start so aggressive so you don't burn out. You'll need a lot of water, plenty of sleep at night, I would take a vitamin, and keep track of calories and stay within your allowance.

I adjusted my sleep hours (which was so hard) but it has made a huge difference.

Having a bunch of kiddos is the greatest thing ever but by definition is exhausting. One thing I have committed to doing this year is to lose weight. My hubby has been very supportive with watching kids while I go to the gym. I'm a better person for them when I workout and work towards a goal. Try doing weekend activities that are exercise with them (hike, bike, walk).
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    And because you have 4 wonderful kids, you would likely benefit from at least taking a multi vitamin or even just a B Complex. Parenting is exhausting and the added vitamins can give you an energy boost while you're losing. I definitely agree with others, up your calories a bit. Add in some good fats and see if that helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do get a blood workup to at least eliminate any medical issues. Don't take random supplements. Men especially have to be careful not to take too much iron.

Causes for exhaustion run from - parenthood - too steep a calorie deficit - no rest days from exercise - low thyroid - low iron - high blood pressure - sleep apnea - failing kidneys ..... etc etc etc.
  • annetrout
    annetrout Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with exhaustion! Add in brain fog to the mix, and you've described me. Still trying to figure out if mine is mental or physical. I'm 47, 5'1, and staying around 1200 calories. Sometimes I eat back my exercise points. I work full time, and go to college part time on top of that so I think that accounts for the brain fog.
    Let me know if you find out what works for you, and I'll try it too!
  • try2again
    Options
    annetrout wrote: »
    I have the same problem with exhaustion! Add in brain fog to the mix, and you've described me. Still trying to figure out if mine is mental or physical. I'm 47, 5'1, and staying around 1200 calories. Sometimes I eat back my exercise points. I work full time, and go to college part time on top of that so I think that accounts for the brain fog.
    Let me know if you find out what works for you, and I'll try it too!

Lol... I'm 48 and I think this might be the thread you're after:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread/p1
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I'd take it up with your doctor. Just to be safe. It could be an underlying medical condition that is just now showing itself (perhaps with no relation to your weight or weight loss). What you describe is symptomatic of sleep apnea. I don't look anything like a stereotypical CPAP user, but it's given me my life back. I was exhausted all the time. Turns out, I wasn't sleeping for crap. Just my two cents...
  • dv3177
    dv3177 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When my thyroid medication is too low I can't get out of bed. I just lay there for 45-60 minutes wide awake just not able to get moving. It's like I've become melted into the mattress overnight lol! I'm with everyone else, rule out anything medical.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Just echoing everyone else here...bump up your calories by 250/day and I suspect you'll find you have more energy.

And there's absolutely no reason to try Herbalife. Supplements don't "boost your metabolism". If you need an extra boost of energy, a simple cup of coffee or tea will do the trick and will be a lot cheaper than whatever Herbalife will charge you for their "special" tea. Also, it's been widely reported over the past couple of years that Herbalife products are linked to liver damage. Ain't no body got time for that!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    A combo of low thyroid and low iron had me falling asleep in conference calls. Definitely run the bloodwork. And definitely don't throw money away on pyramid schemes (I mean, buy Herbalife).