Weight gain and menstrual cycle??

Options
I started my menstrual cycle and now I'm up 2 pounds. Is it possible to gain weight around the time you start your menstrual cycle?

Replies

• See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    Oh yeah, I usually gain about that much around my cycle time.
  • cawfeesong
    cawfeesong Posts: 34
    Options
    I've gained up to 5lbs before..it is most likely just water weight because after my cycle, I lose it quickly usually.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    It's water retention. Just keep doing what you're doing. and next week you should be back down!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    ohhh yeah honey every time!! But the good thing is its just water weight and will go back down when your done, drink more water and do more workouts and it will help bring it back down!!
  • amber2476
    amber2476 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always gain 7 lbs on mine and when I am off, I go back down 7 lbs. Every time, that's why I don't even weigh myself until I have been off it for 2 days.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Yes, you retain water and your weight will likely go up, some people up to 5lbs. It may be best to just not look at the scale this week! Drink lots of water and keep exercising!
  • crazyladym
    crazyladym Posts: 26
    Options
    i thught it was only me. boy i feel better now.
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    Absolutely your weight will go up. However, do yourself a tremendous favor and resist the things we normally crave right before and during - chips, sugar, salt - all those things will make it much worse. So stay on track and like everyone says, you will probably drop it all after your cycle.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Definitely I have seen as much as a 5lb gain during that time. Don't let it frustrate you, just know that it will go back down :-)
  • Maredip
    Maredip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like clockwork!
    I have been monitoring mine for years, so Im very aware of when my cycle comes, and the weight gain that comes with it. I used to gain about four lbs before I had an ablation,because I had awful awful periods. Now even though Ive had the ablation I still have a period but its closer to what normal cycle should be, so i gain around 2 to 3 lbs with my cycle, and when its over, the weight is gone. I tend to pick up an extra glass of water each day during my cycle because Ive found it helps. So relax, its normal.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Absolutely your weight will go up. However, do yourself a tremendous favor and resist the things we normally crave right before and during - chips, sugar, salt - all those things will make it much worse. So stay on track and like everyone says, you will probably drop it all after your cycle.

That has been my biggest thing I always crave salty and sweets and I have been doing pretty good, just choosing healthier options. It's been hard but I have been able to do it.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I gain about 2-3 pounds for about 4 days. It's gross, but it does seem to go away pretty quickly. I do try to keep doing the right things, though (eating right, exercise, etc...). Cravings during that time are so hard. :-P~
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-4lbs every time :(
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    yup, about 2-3lbs
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! lol I feel so much better!! I was at the gym for 2.5 hours yesterday. Drank 7 bottles of water. Ate great all day and still up! Same with the day before. I figured that had to be it. Whew!! So stay off the scale till next week! GOT IT!! lol
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have noticed tho with all the water I've been drinking that I'm not having cramps or headaches. That rocks!!
  • misslauren88
    misslauren88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    but you're time of the month is the most effective time to work out. even though you are bloated, cramped and just generally feel like cr*p, just keep going. once the water weight goes down you'll be happy you kept up your exersizes.
  • crazyladym
    Options
    I have the worst times with the crazings, and i always feel hungry. Any suggestions?
  • RoseBudd85
    RoseBudd85 Posts: 49
    Options
    I've been on the Depo shot since January so I haven't had any periods. But the shot cause that gnawing feeling in my stomach that make me feel like I have to eat.. My last cycle ends at the beginning of August and I'm not going to do it again.
  • crazyladym
    Options
    i was on depo about eight years ago, i hated it.