Emotional eating

Options
So first time posting...
I personally struggle with emotional eating. If I am sad I eat. Happy I eat. Angry I eat. You get the picture. I am 2 weeks in to my lifestyle and I have lost 4lbs yayy! Anyway the point of my post is does anyone have any tips to keep me on track and to break the link that I have between my moods and eating? Please no bashing. Thanks

Replies

• Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I too am starting day 14 with a four pound loss so we are both on the same path. Everyone on this site is here because they need to change something about their relationship with food so no judgement and no worries. You and I are dong what we need to do for our health ... great going.

Here are a few things I do that help with overeating or wanting to snack in between.
    I don't make more than I need to eat (or if I do, I put t in containers immediately) that prevents me from overeating at meals.
    I am also fanatical about my teeth so immediately after eating I do a thorough brushing, flossing etc and then I am hesitant to get my teeth 'dirty'.
    Also stay very busy (draw, color, needlepoint etc.) and change your environment ... sit outside or in the living room and have a cup of tea instead of in the kitchen.
    Staying hydrated really helps too - I have become a fan of flavored herbal teas and feel like it's a treat.
    Staying on target with protein and fiber helps me feel full too!!
    And lastly, I write on my food page in the notes section something I am proud of that day, an accomplishment, acknowledgement of a mistake & suggestions to avoid, good choices I made and I reread them if I am feeling challenged.

Good luck on your journey!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I do my best to find other outlets than eating - playing games, going outside for an angry walk or snow shoveling. If it gets to where I'm going to eat, I go around and sniff the open chip bags and cookie packets (weird but sometimes just smelling chocolate/sweets works) and if that doesn't deter me, I find something sweet but lowish calories (rice cakes are working for me; 60 calories per cake).

When I do give in, I am okay with it. I'm able to control myself most of the time, so once every 2-3 months isn't too shabby for me.
  • clee6637
    clee6637 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!
    I think I am going to have to look at changing the situation I am in when the emotional eating takes place. Going for walks will be good for my step targets so added bonus!
    Congratulations on your 4lb weight loss leverfam! We are on the right track!
    Zyxst my daughter had a chocolate mousse at her nans today and that smelt amazing but I didn't want one so I understand the smelling haha!
    In work is quite hard as I am sat at a desk all day and sweets and chocolate get passed around all the time but saying no is getting easier.
    I have never added notes on my section I think I am going to start doing that for added motivation. :)
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    I was like that too. I decided to stop letting my feelings control me (or my taste buds) and let me control them. I now ask myself, what do I want more? For instance, "what do I want more: that ice cream sandwich (satisfaction that only lasts a few minutes) or to be thin, healthy, happy and eh maybe sexy (which can last much longer)?" Sometimes the goodie will win, if I know i've worked out enough to burn it off or if I'm going to work out enough to. burn it off. I look at the calories, and ask myself if it's worth it. Do i want to work out for an hour to burn it off or would i rather sit and watch a movie and forget about the treat
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What works for me doesn't work for everyone. What works for me might not even be healthy, especially emotionally. I will say this much:

Both shame and anger are incredible motivators.
  • stormy_eyez742
    stormy_eyez742 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What works for me doesn't work for everyone. What works for me might not even be healthy, especially emotionally. I will say this much:

Both shame and anger are incredible motivators.

Yes! Anger (rage really) is what got me off the couch before (I've fallen so far off the wagon it's ridiculous) and kept me going for quite awhile. Eventually, thanks to exercise, my mind "got right" and I was far more positive.

To OP, I understand where you are and I wish I could offer some insight into how to magically make emotional eating go away. I've suffered some insanely life altering blows in the last few years that I allowed to derail my journey. However, I am getting angry and that sparked a fire in me once before that helped me burn (literally and figuratively) through exercise/pounds in the past.

For me, planning was the largest part; whether it be planning a day or a week at a time (food/menu plan, prep everything for exercise night before, figure out alternatives "just in case", etc.). Sure things would happen where I had to alter my plan, BUT the framework was there to fall right back in line or adjust. Keep the temptations out of the house, out of easy reach, or in very small quantity. There were times that I wanted to binge on certain foods (and times I actually did), but by the time I forced myself to weigh out a portion, put it into a container, took a huge drink of water, it passed. Also, I've been known to take a bite of whatever sinful delight I'm going to emotionally eat, savor it....then spit it the hell out! Stay busy. Lastly, and what many people think is a load of dung - deep breathing can truly help.

Oh, one last thing (I promise), I went to a nutritionist who recommended to write it out. If I find myself reaching for something when I'm not really hungry, ask myself, "What am I feeling emotionally right now?" then write out the answer (pen to paper) and whatever the circumstances of your environment in the moment. If you do eat whatever, still do the same thing. Mind/Body connection is a HUGE and essential in successfully losing weight and keeping it off. I hope something of my experience or the other great responses here can offer you some help. Sorry for the book. Best wishes to you on your journey. x