Keto and insulin resistance

Options
I am trying to loose 100 pounds and stave off diabetes. It's slow going, but at least it's going! I have lost around 15 pounds since January 2 doing the keto low-carb high-fat diet. It is frustrating though to see everyone else was doing it and started around the same time as I have losing so much more at a faster rate. I'm wondering if the insulin resistance is a part of why it's coming off slower?

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep. My rate of loss is slower then a tortoise but it's steady. I have severe insulin resistance. I have found a few supplements that have helped this past month but mostly I just keep plowing ahead. Just stick to it.
  • Richdeb69
    Richdeb69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me, how soon I should see any loss on keto?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Loss rates on a ketogenic diet, like any diet, can vary widely. Some people lose faster ans some lose nothing at all for weeks - it's like their body needed some time to heal before it let go of the fat.

I would take pictures and do measurements. That can tell a better story. In the Low Carber Daily MFP group, every week or so there will be progress pictures posted. Some do not involve a single pound of weight loss but it is obvious that they have gone done at least a size, maybe two.

A 15 lb loss since January is a good rate of loss. That's getting near 2 lbs per week. If you keep that up, you could lose eighty to a hundred pounds in a year! :)
  • jimvin2
    jimvin2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got a really high resistance to insulin and I found that walking to work is the only way I lose weight. I can do all sorts of exercise but the 1.5 hours walk a day really does help increase the sensitivity and shed off the pounds. I've lost 4lbs this week!
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah 15 lbs sounds pretty good. I do keto on/off throughout the year, though I think I might start doing it longer-term because of the mental benefits. I don't eat high-carb when I'm not doing keto, but I keep things like sweet potatoes, rice, and apples in my diet. When I cut those things, I lose 4-6 lbs, mostly of water, in about 3 days. Then I'll lose 0.5-1 lb/week, depending on how much I'm eating - I don't have a lot of weight to lose, so I think this is totally reasonable for me.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that keto automatically means rapid weight loss. A bunch of studies have shown that, after the initial water loss associated with depleting glycogen stores, you'll lose weight at about the same rate as any other diet. BUT, it has many other benefits - most of the weight you lose will be fat; you don't lose the same amount of muscle as on a standard calorie-restricted diet, most people feel increased satiety, clearer thinking, etc. If you want to increase the rate of loss, I'd recommend adding in low-intensity exercise like long walks, or just eat a bit less (but I don't know how much you're eating to begin with).

If you have 100 lbs to lose, you've already lost 15% of that, in a bit more than a month! Just keep plugging away and the rest will follow.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am trying to loose 100 pounds and stave off diabetes. It's slow going, but at least it's going! I have lost around 15 pounds since January 2 doing the keto low-carb high-fat diet. It is frustrating though to see everyone else was doing it and started around the same time as I have losing so much more at a faster rate. I'm wondering if the insulin resistance is a part of why it's coming off slower?
    I'm not sure how much you are eating, but a weight loss of 15 pounds in 7 weeks is fabulous and nothing that you should be looking at as if it's not quite enough. It's actually on the high end of what most experts recommend in terms of the rate of weight loss. Keep doing what you are doing (so long as you aren't under 1200 cals/day), you are absolutely on track!