Information overload

Options
I've been doing really well - I've lost 16kg since September so I'm buzzing.

But I've plateaud. And I'm being a little lazy with strict logging.

So I've decided to get back on the horse and start being strict - and I started it by starting to lift weights. A simple cycle of weighted squats, some ab work, and arm lifts with a 5kg kettle bell.

I tried to read as much information as I can - so I feel a little at a loss of what to do. I want to be thinner (I now weigh 75kg-ish at a height of 5'2). But I want to also be toned.

I currently eat 1200 calories a day, and I'm starting to lift weights. Is it ok to stick with that, or do I need to be eating more? Dare I ask - can eating 1200 and doing added exercise do me more damage than good?

I know this just adds to the information already out there - but this community is so good at advice and taking it back to basics is really helpful.

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I believe it all starts with good logging.

But also...

It seems like 1200 calories is too few calories for a healthy rate of loss at your current weight. If your settings are for 2lbs per week, consider changing it to 1lb or .5lb (or whatever the kg equivalent is, not sure).

If you insist on 1200 calories, then definitely eat back your exercise calories.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    well I guess it truly depends on goals... personally, I would NEVER eat or live 1200 calories a day lifting... when I was lifting I was eating around 1800-2000 per day... I am 5'8 and at the time 170+lbs.. since I can't lift any more but have to do bodyweight, I am still at 1700 per day. I find I enjoy the IIFYM methodology more and can calculate and deduce based on my own needs/goals.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Your desire to be "toned" means lowering your bodyfat whilst retaining as much muscle as possible. So doing some strength training is absolutely the right thing to do. I'd suggest getting a more rounded program happening so you don't end up overtraining one muscle group that can lead to imbalances and injury.

I'd also lower your rate of loss goal so as to also help with muscle retention and make sure to hit your protein goal as closely and consistently as possible.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Same advice--find a progressive lifting program (I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women and am back for round two) and eat at a slight (not overly aggressive) deficit. If you stay 1200idh, eat back your exercise calories--you need to fuel your lifting and not be losing muscle along with the fat.

For comparison, I started lifting in April at 5'4", 147lbs. My base calories were 1800, and i ate all my exercise calories back (i nursed until September). I hit 127 in September, now am 124.5 eating 2200-2500/day to maintain (so eating all my exercise calories). I went from a 6/8 to a 0/2--so Lifting is awesome!!!
  • kerriprince92
    kerriprince92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's really helpful.

I'm ravenous on 1200 since lifting over the weekend, so I may up it to 1300 and use those calories to give myself a treat for every day that I lift.

Calorie counting can really teach you to unnecessarily restrict food!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    That's really helpful.

I'm ravenous on 1200 since lifting over the weekend, so I may up it to 1300 and use those calories to give myself a treat for every day that I lift.

Oddly enough it did the exact opposite for me:)

As long as I have an overall balanced diet I make room for some goodies! Counting has taught me moderation.

Isn't is funny how we are all different.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    That's really helpful.

IMO... progressive lifting with a program will require a lot more than 1300 calories unless you are like 4'5" and weigh like 80lbs...

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's really helpful.

1300 calories still isn't much, and I doubt you'll 1) be able to find anything that qualifies as a treat for 100 calories, and 2) want to allocate any calories at all for treats at such a low intake.
    I've been reading and rereading... typo?
  • kerriprince92
    Options

I don't think so...but now I've read and reread it! What I mean is that I'm a little obsessed with eating less and less because I think I'll lose weight quicker even though I know it doesn't work like that. It's like a litttle voice that says "you've eaten 1000 calories, don't eat the rest, you'll lose weight quicker" even though that's so stupid. It's an internal battle!
  • kerriprince92
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I've taken them on board.

Gonna find a good progressive weight lifting programme and eat more of the right stuff to get the body I want
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This was a really great thread to read and fab advice!
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I don't think so...but now I've read and reread it! What I mean is that I'm a little obsessed with eating less and less because I think I'll lose weight quicker even though I know it doesn't work like that. It's like a litttle voice that says "you've eaten 1000 calories, don't eat the rest, you'll lose weight quicker" even though that's so stupid. It's an internal battle!

Oh, just be very careful - that number is one you are aiming to hit, not go under. You need those calories. If you are going to be obsessed, obsess over getting the best food you can for your calories!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    the good thing with lifting and progressive lifting.. you don't have to "restrict" anything... I ate stuff that would make people's head spin around here but there are quite a few of us that do... I ate pizza, burgers, ice cream was a daily thing, etc... it was ALL fuel and it worked like a charm. I am one of those few who REFUSE to give up anything I like .. I just make adjustments for it.. including wine :)
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    the good thing with lifting and progressive lifting.. you don't have to "restrict" anything... I ate stuff that would make people's head spin around here but there are quite a few of us that do... I ate pizza, burgers, ice cream was a daily thing, etc... it was ALL fuel and it worked like a charm. I am one of those few who REFUSE to give up anything I like .. I just make adjustments for it.. including wine :)
    But that's nothing to do with lifting, it has to do with counting calories.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as your weight loss isn't more than 1% of your body weight per week, I wouldn't be too concerned about adding more calories. If it starts going over that then you should probably be eating more.