Do I still have to count calories if I eat healthy foods (Fruits, vegetables and protein)

Options

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yep, you have to keep counting. The calories will get away from you if you dont.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with the "eat healthy " way but do I still have to count my calorie from healthy natural foods? I'm confused af

It depends and could change.

If you are eating a not very nutritious or filling diet now, it is likely that you will cut calories (even enough to lose weight) by changing what you eat and eating a "healthier" diet -- usually meaning more vegetables and lean meats and fish and legumes and whole grains, basically foods that tend to be filling. Also, if you tend to overeat foods like sweets or chips that many people can consume lots of, cutting them out or way down will also tend to reduce calories. The point is that this is NOT because calories don't matter or that you can't get fat on those foods. It's because you have found a way to cut calories without counting.

The problem is that often people are able to overeat on even so-called healthy foods, and the ability to do this increases as you become used to eating those foods. If you cut out a bunch of things you were eating it takes a while to find other things you are likely to overeat and if you aren't that used to lean meat and vegetables you might think they are impossible to overeat. They are not. Many of us who rarely ate packaged junk food or fast food, etc., still found it easy to overeat on whole foods in the context of a nutritionally dense diet. The more you already eat a pretty healthful diet and lots of veg, etc., the less likely it is that just "eating healthy" will be sufficient, IMO.

You don't have to count calories if you don't want to. Many people find it's easy to lose in other ways, and whether you like counting calories or not tends to vary by person. What you do have to do is find a way of eating that controls and reduces calories somewhat. For me, if I stick to 3 meals (usually homemade or otherwise where I don't have to worry that there are way more calories than I assume -- occasional dinner out is fine), no snacks, am active, and cut down on extras, I can lose, but that's in part because I have a good sense of how much I should be eating for that to be the case.

That said, it's easier for me and more efficient to count and tends to allow for more freedom in what I choose to eat--I'll see that I have room for some cheese or more oil or nuts or some ice cream, for example.

Another issue with the "just eat healthy" thing is that if for you it does mean cutting out foods you tend to overeat completely you may end up going totally nuts with them at some point. It often works better to figure out how to include them in your diet in moderation and not make them into some (inaccurate) thing to fear and avoid. It's all just food with different mixes of nutrients and calories.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There is one way to lose weight, Calories in should be less than Calories out.

However there are lots of ways of getting there. I log on MFP, my wife uses Slimming World with the concepts of free food and syns. To lose weight you have to be in calorie deficit.

If you eat 5 apples in a day that could be 500 calories. If I did not log these I would not be in deficit for that day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You do not need to count your calories to lose weight. It is one way to diet but not the only way.

You can simply eat less of what you are already eating. I started out by writing down everything I ate, no calories, with measurements like "1 serving" or "1 spoonful". I lost 30 pounds doing that. I only started calorie counting when I got stuck and decided to be more exact in order to get back into a deficit.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Yep, you have to keep counting. The calories will get away from you if you dont.

No, you actually don't. Some people find that after a certain time they're able to estimate accurately and control portions without weighing or measuring. Some of us don't have a good eye for portions and are more comfortable using the tools to keep ourselves accurate.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Has anybody lost weight just counting but eating whatever they felt like eating?

That would be me. I eat a terrible diet, but since I am eating less than I burn I lose weight. My diary is open if you want to look. I'm down 50 pounds since September. It's also worth mentioning that I gained most of my weight eating a vegetarian diet that was much cleaner than I eat now. Weight loss and gain is really about portion control for me. I do exercise most days of the week, which is not necessary, but allows me to fit in even more junk food.
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tried the eat healthy/exercise - along with being happy and positive. It got me nowhere. The scale actually started creeping up. I'm back to - eating flat under 1300 cal. and exercising at least 6 days per week. Just to note - no adjusting for exercise calories. Figure what works for you, take control, and do it.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Has anybody lost weight just counting but eating whatever they felt like eating?

-61LBS & counting this weekend i wendys & chinese ! as long as it fits in my deficit i eat it lol
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Yes, but they most likely lost a lot of muscle in the process. There is a balance. You need protein. You need vitamins. You can lose weight eating 1200 calories of snickers all day. True story, but your health will go down in quality.
    Here's the deal. 3500 calories is equal to 1 lb of weight on the body. If you eat 3500 more than you burn per week, you will gain 1lb a week. If you eat 3500 calories less than you burn, you will lose 1lb a week. This is a proven science. There is no controversy here.
    If you eat protein and veggies a deficit will be a lot easier. You will feel full and get to eat a lot through the day. You are less likely to over eat if you only eat lean protein and veggies. However, you are more likely to go crazy and crave something good!! Unless you are extremely committed, which some people are.
    I am not. I don't enjoy eating ONLY healthy foods. So, I get my 120g protein in so I won't lose muscle. Then I get my veggies and fruits (more calories) in for vitamins, and a whole grain or 2. After that, with the calories I have left I have my goodies. This balance works for me. MFP makes it easy to count calories.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, counting calories is the way to go. This is how you learn about the foods around you and learn to look at them differently. This is how you learn that a tiny bit of peanut butter or mayo packs a 200 calories into your food with less than you think. Or how butter vs olive oil both have the same calories, or grapes are seriously high in calories!! The list goes on, but now I look at food differently. I won't eat a whole bag of grapes because they're "healthy". Moderately is fine, but those babies are packed full of sugar! I no longer think a piece of toast with a nice layer of peanut butter is a great way to get protein. I was eating 400 calories worth of peanut butter on my toast! 400 calories of chicken breast would give me 3-4x the protein and I couldn't eat it all in one sitting. These are valuable lessons.
    My point is, counting calories is not a waste of time. It is an investment in your health for life! You learn valuable things about the food around you, so the next time you are at a potluck you think twice about loading your plate with "heathy salads" loaded with mayo or sugary dressings. You start to know what you're doing, change your ways and be fit for life.
    I hated the idea of counting calories, but I did it, and I will NEVER regret it. I ain't going back, because now, I know a lot more about food. :smiley:
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Oh yes, absolutely.

And on the flip side of the coin, people have gained weight eating a clean, mostly whole foods diet made up of lots of fruits and vegetables. I gained 15 lbs eating that way, because I ate too much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, but they most likely lost a lot of muscle in the process.

Probably not, unless what they felt like eating was out of the ordinary.
    There is a balance. You need protein. You need vitamins. You can lose weight eating 1200 calories of snickers all day. True story, but your health will go down in quality.

Agree that you need protein and vitamins. You'd have to have a pretty poor idea of "whatever you want to eat" to imagine that would preclude adequate protein and vitamins. For most it probably means a range of foods, and certainly plenty that include protein. (I think it's normal to eat vegetables too, but it is true that surveys suggest that many people do fall far short on that front, so I'd recommend that if you care about nutrition eating adequate vegetables and a balance of foods.)

Main reasons for muscle loss would probably be too few calories, especially as you get closer to goal, and a lack of exercise. Too few calories often is combined with inadequate protein for muscle maintenance, but the average diet (even the SAD) isn't actually low protein, so I doubt someone eating whatever they want in most cases would be low protein. I suppose if you are someone who just likes sweets that would happen, but such people aren't all that common (although I think those who tend to choose a very poor diet are more apt to assume that others are the same).
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

That would be me. I eat a terrible diet, but since I am eating less than I burn I lose weight. My diary is open if you want to look. I'm down 50 pounds since September. It's also worth mentioning that I gained most of my weight eating a vegetarian diet that was much cleaner than I eat now. Weight loss and gain is really about portion control for me. I do exercise most days of the week, which is not necessary, but allows me to fit in even more junk food.

People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I gained as a vegetarian.

OP, I gained as a low carb vegetarian. I have also lost weight eating anything I want and counting calories. Eating just fruits, vegetables, and lean meat is not a guarantee of weight loss. You can try not counting calories and it might work for you but if not count calories. If you want to eat "clean" then do it but if it makes you miserable don't do it. Whatever you do make sure it is sustainable.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I would definitely eat healthy foods for optimal nutrition and health, but calories are what matter if you want to change your weight.

FYI macronutrients matter too. Maybe first just focus on eating mostly healthy and tracking calories, but eventually you'll want to start paying attention to you macros too. When you're ready.
  • CalorieArson
    CalorieArson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So this comment is directed at the OP. This app/program is based on counting calories, so it's unlikely you'd find any truly objective answers here. I've done a whole lot of research and found most of the weightless theories that OP is referring to. I've tried a few different methods over the years and can say that what you eat has as much effect on your weight as how much you eat.

If you're careful about what you eat, avoiding anything with either added fat, sugar, or salt (essentially anything processed) you can usually eat as much as you want and still manage to lose weight.

However, this can be extremely difficult to manage, as we are programmed to crave fat, sugar, and salt. There is an alternative method, which is more or less all things in moderation. Counting calories is the most straightforward way to accomplish this as foods with added fat, sugar, and salt tend to be very calorie dense.

Counting calories accomplishes two things. First, it forces moderation. You want that bucket of ice cream? Go for it. But that's all you can eat for the next 2 days. Second, tracking calories forces you to acknowledge what you eat. Suddenly, you realize how much more satisfied you feel eating a whole salad rather than one cookie.

Basically, there's more than one right answer to the problem of weight loss. You're best bet is to find what works for you, and stick with it! Hopefully I've managed to help out and best of luck!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Um, it's not the act of counting that causes weight loss. It's actually tracking calories, and making sure you are consuming less than you burn.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes, but they most likely lost a lot of muscle in the process.

Probably not, unless what they felt like eating was out of the ordinary.
    There is a balance. You need protein. You need vitamins. You can lose weight eating 1200 calories of snickers all day. True story, but your health will go down in quality.

Agree that you need protein and vitamins. You'd have to have a pretty poor idea of "whatever you want to eat" to imagine that would preclude adequate protein and vitamins. For most it probably means a range of foods, and certainly plenty that include protein. (I think it's normal to eat vegetables too, but it is true that surveys suggest that many people do fall far short on that front, so I'd recommend that if you care about nutrition eating adequate vegetables and a balance of foods.)

Main reasons for muscle loss would probably be too few calories, especially as you get closer to goal, and a lack of exercise. Too few calories often is combined with inadequate protein for muscle maintenance, but the average diet (even the SAD) isn't actually low protein, so I doubt someone eating whatever they want in most cases would be low protein. I suppose if you are someone who just likes sweets that would happen, but such people aren't all that common (although I think those who tend to choose a very poor diet are more apt to assume that others are the same).

These guns agree with the above.j5489firypx9.png
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Honestly it depends.

If you need to lose weight, that means you were/are eating at a surplus either now or in the recent past. Depends on if you're overweight and still gaining or just overweight/not gaining. If you have been at the same approximate weight for a while, not gaining, then eating less than you have been should allow you to lose weight. If you can change your intake by adjusting what you're eating and/or how much so that you are now eating at a deficit, even if you don't 'count calories' then you will lose weight. But for many people, estimating is kind of hard to do.

If your current habits still have you gaining, then not only do you need to cut back but you need to cut back to a significant degree. I mean if you are eating X now and maintaining, then any decrease should result in loss. But if you're eating Y and gaining, you need to figure out what X would be (to maintain) and eat less than that. So without counting, there is a lot of trial and error involved in this one.
    I really need to know cause I'm confused, I looked it up online and there are so many different answers on how to lose weight, some people say all u need is a calorie deficit, some say a calorie deficit is only short term and others say stop counting calories and eat healthy/exercise. I'm going to go with the "eat healthy " way but do I still have to count my calorie from healthy natural foods? I'm confused af