Advice/Opinions/Experience please!

Options
Right, basically, im not very strong, i have a weakness in my back and no worry about pushing myself.

My question is how can I boost my exercise routine? I need to get some more exercise in - now can any one suggest what? It has to be a thing to do at home, that doesnt require alot of equipment.

I am starting Turbo Jam on Sunday so is there another workout prog i could do along side it? Should I run? Bike? What? Please help and suggest. Turbo Jam wont be enough for me :(

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome... But you will want to do some strength training along with it..
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Get you some weights (8-15lbs) to start. There is a whole world of exercises that will open up to you for strength building and body shaping. Bands are good too if you don't care for dumb-bells. Good luck!
  • Wifeykimm
    Wifeykimm Posts: 4
    Options
    Try the SHAPE Magazine, every month it has a compete strenght workout you can do at home. Great Magazine!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I like doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It is perfect for me because I have a 5 month old baby and I also work full time so I don't have a lot of time left for me. The video is only 25 minutes per workout (there are 3 levels to work your way up) and I started seeing a difference after day 3.
  • fitzgeraldc
    Options
    Swimming is always a great, low impact workout. Have fun with whatever you do!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in some toning and strength, especially for your back, I would totally go buy some bands, and work your shoulder/arms/back with band workouts. It does wonders for increasing your overall strength, since literally everything stems from your back. My boyfriend always had a weaker back, and since I started him doing some band exercises, his back pain and issues have really improved.

Running and biking are great cross-training activities to get out. You can always do both, really, so long as you're not overdoing it and hurting yourself.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Best tip I ever got, if you have cable. Check out their OnDemand exercise TV. A bunch of different workouts, all about 20-40 minutes long, all various types. You will prolly only need one set of weights.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You would be aqmazed how may calories you can burn off by just walking. I haven't been near a Gym, I'm not into all these fancy aerobics I sometimes use the Wii Fit but generally, I just walk varying pace and also the walks I do between flat / uphill etc etc. Works for me but then again may not for others. It doesn't hurt to try though all it costs is a decent pair of walking shoes.

Also vary on eating back calories earnt, you don't have to eat them all or any for that matter as long as you eat the number of calories you have set for each day but again its trial and error what works for some doesn't for others. Use MFP as a sounding board for ideas