What is the best way to lose belly weight, such as what exercises & foods are best?

Options
Please feel free to add me as a friend, I need new encouraging friends to help me through my fitness plan!

Replies

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You can't spot lose weight, you can only lose weight and your genetics will determine which parts of your body lose weight and when. So any program that induces weight loss will reduce belly weight as your body sees fit. Exercises that strengthen your core will help tighten up the tummy area and give you a more esthetically pleasing look, but won't reduce belly fat in particular.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Best way to lose belly fat is to lose overall body fat. You can't spot reduce.

In my opinion a mild caloric deficit (between 250 to 500 calories less than TDEE/maintenance or 0.5 to 1 pound weight loss rate) combined with strength training/weight lifting, and consuming adequate protein (between 0.6 an 1 gram per pound of your goal body weight) is the key to fat loss. Also adding in some HIIT cardio to this can be helpful.

I would also avoid stress, get plenty of sleep, and quit or at least drastically minimize alcohol intake. Stress hormones and alcohol both tend to cause fat accumulation specifically in the abdomen area. Getting adequate sleep is necessary for proper hormonal function including fat loss hormones.

I would also avoid any foods that cause you to get bloating or constipation or digestion problems. And get plenty of fiber in your diet. When your digestion is good your stomach will appear flatter.

Full body strength exercises that work large muscle groups will be the most effective for burning fat- things like squats, deadlifts, pull ups, chest press, shoulder press, lat pull downs, horizontal rows, glute bridges, hip thrusts, lunges, push ups, etc. Working your core specifically won't burn belly fat any faster, but it may help you improve your posture and pull in your belly muscles, so things like planks, crunches, bird dogs, bicycle crunches, v sit, roll outs, etc can be helpful for that. But don't just do a bunch of sit ups only because you want to lose belly fat- it doesn't work like that.

Hope this was helpful, good luck with your goals!

• courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I don't agree that there is no control over where the fat comes off.

My theory on this is simple.

Not only does fat suck, but it is mean. It knows where you want to lose it and where you want to keep it and just says screw you, you're trying to get rid of me so I'm going to go away where you want me to stay (boobs) and stay where you want me to leave (belly).

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :)

Haha yes!! I definitely lose first in my boobs and in my stomach last!! Fat totally is mean!!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Not only does fat suck, but it is mean. It knows where you want to lose it and where you want to keep it and just says screw you, you're trying to get rid of me so I'm going to go away where you want me to stay (boobs) and stay where you want me to leave (belly).

Haha yes!! I definitely lose first in my boobs and in my stomach last!! Fat totally is mean!!

I'm down at least 2 cup sizes.

But I'm a guy so I'm happy about it :)

Lol!!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Witchcraft.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Oh man. I get the beginnings of a Christmas tree on my back and trap striations before even losing the spare tyre around my waist (and revealing so much as top two abs)!

(proof: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5990&stc=1&d=1353202760)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    No particular food or exercise is going to target belly fat...you cannot target fat loss. Reduce body fat in general and your belly will eventually shrink. The belly area is primary fat stores for many people...primary fat stores are first on, last off.
  • jessicadonahoe23
    jessicadonahoe23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for the advice! I started this calorie counting and exercise plan 2 1/2 weeks ago.. I started at 183 pounds and I am 5foot3. I am trying to get down to 150. I have noticed a change in my stomach getting flatter. I have only lost about 5 pounds, but i think that is decent for the amount of time i have been doing this healthy lifestyle change