5k run

Options
My friends and I want to do a 5k.

I'm the only one out of shape. (I'm 5'8" and I will probably be about 250 by the time the run comes around.)

Everyone seemed to settle on a beautiful race in mid April. A blossom run at a winery.

aap2lj74o18f.png

I was fine with this as there's a 3k portion that I can work towards being able to run. I agreed and even talked it up to a friend and her boyfriend so they would join in.

However! I found out today the 3k portion is a walk and the 5k portion is a "competitive" run.

I'm 8 weeks out.

I need advice. Also... information on run etiquette. What if I can't run the full 5k?

I've been hiking a LOT the past two months. Yesterday I did 20 miles. Up a mountain and then down.

Could I train for a 5k in 8 weeks? I'm positive I could train to jog 3k... but I don't want to be the only one running in the walk section. Also... it would be fantastic to actually run a 5k!

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I don't think you mentioned this, but how far can you run NOW?
    Regardless, every 5K I've ever done has a lot of walkers - even ones that are listed as "competitive". You could shoot an email off to the race director asking if walking a portion of the 5K is acceptable, but I'm sure they will say that it is. The most important things, if you do the 5K, are to start out slow, and to make sure that you start at the back of the pack so you're not in front of anyone who is competitively running it.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program is 9 weeks, so 8? Sure, close enough. Especially if you are in good shape from hiking. Do a distance based rather than time based program in case you are a bit slow to make sure you are making the distance.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It is entirely doable. I started running in mid-December--after spending 18 months using an elliptical 3 times/week--and can now run 10K. I highly recommend the C25K app. It starts with lots of walking and short intervals of running, then progressively increases the duration of the runs until you are just running. The key is to just go as slow as you need to, repeat (or double up, as I did) days as appropriate, and have fun with it!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    By the way, that race sounds amazing. Wine mid-course?! Makes me want to take a road-trip.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I second c25k
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The Zenn Labs C25K program is 8 weeks (for some reason it is different than the others at 9 weeks) and you might be able to jumpstart into week 3 if you have been active and not just starting off from the couch.

• rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree. You'll be fine. Just do the C25K app. If you've done that much hiking its not like starting from scratch.

Ignore the competitive part of the 5K. That probably just means it's chip-timed, but I guarantee there will be a ton of walkers there
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    another vote for C25k, in case you can't find it (it's a british thing and I'm guessing you're american), here's the general guidelineknmpqoo279a8.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think you'll be fine...I'm wondering how they define "competitive run" though considering you stop halfway through a 5K for wine. Seems like more of a fun run to me...sounds like a good time.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Before I did my first 5k, I downloaded a free HIIT interval timer on my phone and set it for intervals....I tried to run 3 minutes (It would yell GO!), and walk 1 minute (REST!) and try to keep a pace doing it that way. The day of the 5K, I started off with that intention, but ended up jogging the whole thing without stopping. A very nice friend stayed by my side and ran with me the whole time.

There were two guys in front of us who were doing a bit of a run/walk combo...we were always playing cat and mouse with them (not in a competitive way), but sometimes they would be ahead, sometimes we would be... even though we were jogging and they were run/walking. We all finished right about the same time.

Just have fun with it...use the race as a goal and motivation. 5K races are so much fun, just people of ALL levels coming out and being outside and active and doing something positive for themselves. Don't worry about time for your first one. See what you do and how you feel and then try to beat it your next race! It really is for people of all levels.

Who knows, you may even catch the race bug....before you know it, you'll be spending all your money on sneakers and race entry fees. A 5K is a great distance and with a little consistent running, totally doable! You will be AMAZED at what you can do. It's great to have a 5K as a goal and it will feel so good to cross the finish line. Have fun!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The Zenn Labs C25K program is 8 weeks (for some reason it is different than the others at 9 weeks) and you might be able to jumpstart into week 3 if you have been active and not just starting off from the couch.

I have the app from RunDouble. Week 8 is running 3 miles for three days and week 9 is one day of 3.1, the 5K. So, it's more like 8 weeks, and a 5K would be perfectly reasonable on day 1 of week 8.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I can't anything that hasn't already been said, except having wine mid race definitely is more of a fun run. I think by competitive they mean you'll be timed. Sometimes on the website they may have a "everyone must finish within x amount of time" usually that's to get the volunteers off the road, etc. But this one sounds amazing - and those race fees! Super cheap! Most 5k's are at least $35 plus in Chicago. Go for it! And if you can hike for 20 miles, you will have no problem running/walking for 3.1 miles.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Oh... you are not out of shape if you can hike 20 miles. There are tons of people who may look thin and in shape but can barely walk a mile.
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In my experience, "competitive" in this context tends to mean a timed race with results versus an untimed walk or fun run. Most 5ks have walkers or slower joggers even when there's a walk offered. One thing I used to do when I was nervous about my speed compared with other participants is look at past results for that event. If there were people who finished around the time I would expect to (at the time, that was anywhere from 40-50 minutes for a 5k), I figured I was fine.
  • kathyrunsfast
    kathyrunsfast Posts: 7,142 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine. I run a lot of "competitive 5k's" and there are always plenty of casual runners too. I think competitive means they offer timing. It even says run, walk and crawl! I would do it. Make it a goal to do run/walk intervals if that helps you. Good luck!! Sounds like fun!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    CoolRunning has a C25k program that is 30 minutes, 3 days a week. You reach 3 miles continuous running at the beginning of the 9th week. Just keep your pace as slow and easy as you can. You have the muscular strength, it's just a matter of developing the aerobic capacity, which shouldn't be difficult if you can hike.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'd like to thank everyone!

I'm going to start a C25K program and run every other day. That should get me to the end of the program on time for the race.

I'm also glad to hear that it's not unusual for a 5k run goer to pause and walk for a bit.