Walking?

Options
Maybe I'm just lazy but I really don't like working out. I try and stay positive and do my time lifting, workout on the elliptical, the abs machines, and so forth, but when it comes down to it, walking a mile or 2 is my favorite form of exercise. I usually set the incline up to about almost halfway and speed walk. This burns about 150 cal per mile. If I'm really feeling it, I jog the last lap. Will this be effective for weight loss or do I need something with more intensity?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    150 cals a mile sounds rather high for walking?
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Maybe because of the incline? On my outdoor walks at a good pace (usually 4 mph walking) I burn ~ 100 cals on average per miles, this includes going down big hills, flat land, and up hills. So maybe if I was only walking up hills for a mile I would probably burn more than 100 in that mile.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

She did say that she sets the incline to half-way, which is a high incline. So depending on her weight, 150 isn't impossible.

OP, the most effective thing for weightloss is a calorie deficit. Exercise is for overall health, and a minor boost in calorie deficit. If you enjoy walking, stick with it. I think the best exercise program is one that you enjoy and will keep doing.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Incline speed walking is excellent for losing weight!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    First, diet is the most important part of weight loss. Keeping at your calorie goal will do more for weight loss than any gym time.

Having said that, there is one absolutely ideal exercise you can add to help you lose weight.

It is:

wait for it

pause for dramatic effect

The exercise you will actually do.

So if that is power walking at an incline, then the best weight loss exercise YOU can do is power walking at an incline.

:)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30 kgs of weight with walking as my main form of exercise. I just make sure I walk at a brisk pace but was still shedding the pounds as I was working up to that speed.