Overnight Oats!

Options
Hi, has anyone tried these! I have read so much about overnight oats but don't want alot of sugar added. I have found Date Sugar which is very acceptable if you want to cut your sugar consumption. I was thinking about making my overnight oats with rolled oats, rice milk, date sugar for sweetener, bananas, cinnamon and chia seeds. This is my first attempt for the most healthiest version I could think of. Any suggestions,please let me know! Thx

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious, but date sugar is still sugar (and a refined sugar, at that). If you're really trying to cut down, you'll need to get used to things that aren't sweet or use artificial sweeteners. If you're trying to cut down on REFINED sugar, then you'll want to use actual fruits -- cut up dates or other dried fruit with no added sugar, bananas, etc.

If you'll say why you want to cut down, we can brainstorm some ideas. Good luck! :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I tried and like them, but don't make them as 'overnight' any longer.

You don't have to add sugar or sweetener. I find a banana makes it sweet enough for me though it's more calories than using honey (my go to). Date sugar is similar to white sugar with more calcium and iron, but they're both sugar.
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok cool, wanted more info on date sugar so that helps. It was only 20 cals a serving but I don't need it necessarily. I was just trying to get some ideas! Thx
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I prefer oats with only salt, butter, and milk. No sweetener at all. Maybe some chopped nuts added at the very end, or maybe even a few berries.
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats regularly and I dont find that you need sugar. Just as you said, oats, milk, chia seeds and a choice of fruit is fine for me! It's delicious and it'll keep you nice and full for a while. good luck!