Exercise before or after dinner?

Options
Is it better to work out before dinner or after dinner? or does it really matter it is more what you prefer?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    pwedge68 wrote: »
    it is more what you prefer?

Yes
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It would only matter if you get sick exercising on a full or empty stomach, if exercise keeps you up or helps you fall asleep, or if your energy levels are different before or after dinner. Aside from those type things it doesn't make any difference.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's what you prefer, but it also depends on how hard you are exercising. I can't run far or hard immediately after a meal. I need to wait at least two hours after a big meal and an hour after a small one. OTOH, I could probably do the exercise bike immediately after with little stomach issue.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think it is preference. If you decide after dinner, as another indicated, you will want to wait for 1-2 hours afterwards before exercising depending upon the size of your meal.
  • CaffeinatedRats
    CaffeinatedRats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I prefer before. It is hard for me to exercise soon after eating.

Honestly, it doesn't matter much as long as you get yourself moving. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pwedge68 wrote: »
    Is it better to work out before dinner or after dinner? or does it really matter it is more what you prefer?

I do mine before, in fact I'm writing this from my exercise bike...

If I got home from work and sat down id never get back up to exercise!
  • RachaelIsLosingIt
    RachaelIsLosingIt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're working out to lose weight, eating after you have worked out is recommended. Mainly because it can make you sick, but also because you have to refuel your body with what it needs to heal after a work out and eating is the best way to do that!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mine varies. Some nights I have a planned run after I drop my kids at their activity, so I have a snack 2 hours before and run until I pick up the kids, then I go home and have a late dinner. Other nights when I know it will be later in the evening/night, I eat dinner at my normal time. But, I have to make sure I give it at least 2 hours to settle!!
  • pwedge68
    pwedge68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone your input has been really helpful.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I do intense exercise on a fairly empty stomach as I get indigestion if I do it after a heavy meal - a light snack is fine. But I have no problem taking a walk after dinner.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I prefer fasted cardio in morning. Less for weight loss reasons (yes, there is SOME research that says it might help, but you're really not moving the needle much). I do it because a) I get it over with and b) it wakes me up. I generally won't exercise after a meal because I have trouble not throwing it up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner late...it's the cap to another day. I eat around 8:30 most nights, no way I'm working out after that. Also, dinner tends to be my largest meal of the day...I'd be puking.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    When I get ready for a workout, I like to have a small snack like cheese, an egg, a cheese/meat rollup, especially if I feel a little hungry. If it's just a casual walk about, after dinner isn't a bad thing, I jut wouldn't go for a run like that. :smile: It really comes down to what you find best works for you!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It's whatever works for you. When I go to the gym by myself I go right after work and eat dinner after. If I have to wait and go with my gym partner then I have to eat dinner before I go to the gym - or I get "hangry". :wink: I never feel sick.