Leg cramps with High Protein

Options
I have the best results with weight loss if I follow a high protein, low carb (specifically eliminating processed carbs) but one thing that derails my efforts are leg cramps. I can not take potassium or magnesium supplements as I am on a blood thinner medication. I drink lots of Powerade Zero and I even add a 1/2 tsp of mortons lite salt for the sodium and potassium but does anyone have suggestions of what works for them? I would appreciate it, thanks

Replies

• LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to drink a LOT more water. If you're worried your potassium intake is too low (unlikely, but possible, check your MFP entries), spinach, white beans and sweet potatoes are a great source
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    May I ask what "high protein" consists of? I ask because protein in excess of what's needed can be very straining on your kidneys, which are among the organs working to maintain electrolyte balances.

I do low carb high fat and drink soup broth with salt to avoid muscle cramps, and also to help hold on to water a bit better (this is really only an issue during the early days of low-carb when you're flushing out water due to decreased glycogen and lowered insulin). If you can't take potassium or magnesium, is Powerade okay for you? This might be something to address with your doctor, because electrolyte imbalances are quite serious and will compound other medical conditions you might have.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Can you do topical magnesium? It's amazing for instantly soothing muscle cramps.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try a magnesium and potassium supplement
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to under 25 net carbs and about 90 grams of protein. I do have topical magnesium spray and they usually only hit during sleep so before bed I could be better about applying the spray. If I have time a soak in a bath with Epsom salt helps too. I drink a ton of water. I think the bone broth might help but it sounds gross so I've avoided it but I might need to at least try it.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm just thinking - with anything that you're going to drink/ingest to try and get higher potassium/magnesium, would these be okay with the blood thinners if you can't take them in supplement form?

Otherwise I'd say make sure you're eating enough, particularly fat, since it helps with absorption and stores many nutrients.
  • jennknut
    Options
    As long as it's food I'm good, just no pill form, it throws the coag way off so whatever I eat I'm consistent with it. Any time I travel, get really tired, modify my exercise program, etc it can really make the test results vary. I love low carb but leg cramps are my only complaint. I'm never hungry on it and even the first few days are tolerable. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I would say up your sodium too .people who do that low of carbs its recommended to eat 3000-5000mg of sodium per day. but magnesium and potassium are important too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jennknut wrote: »
    I try to stick to under 25 net carbs and about 90 grams of protein. I do have topical magnesium spray and they usually only hit during sleep so before bed I could be better about applying the spray. If I have time a soak in a bath with Epsom salt helps too. I drink a ton of water. I think the bone broth might help but it sounds gross so I've avoided it but I might need to at least try it.

90 grams isnt considered a lot really.unless you are really small then it might be.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    jennknut wrote: »

90 grams isnt considered a lot really.unless you are really small then it might be.

I wouldn't even call it high then. I usually have more than that just for breakfast.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    90g of protein is not a lot. At all. I'd find a way to get more magnesium and/or potassium into your diet.
  • jennknut
    Options
    Just wanted to check back in and say that I have been having the bone broth, I just kind of jazz it up with mushrooms and onion and to me it tastes like a rich French onion soup. No leg cramps! I also use the topical magnesium spray or try and soak in a tub with Epsom Salt. I agree that 90g is not a lot for protein but that is my minimum I try to get in for the day but compared to my heavy processed carb based diet prior to MFP it really works for me. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!