PMS Cravings - Physiological fact or pure myth

jdt242
jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

The cravings are hitting me hard and I want chocolate! I haven't slept well, which has put my resolve on a low level...but it got me thinking - are my pms cravings real or just in my programming? Thoughts and facts are welcome!

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    They're very real but if you stay within your calories it's okay to indulge. If you're having an especially difficult day, it wouldn't hurt to bump your calories up a little and have a maintenance day. You might be able to find a recipe for a rich and satisfying mug brownie that will for into your calorie needs without leaving leftovers for later temptation
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    They are real. I am now in my first year of menopause. I don't have them anymore. It's wonderful!
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Real. No doubt. I'm supposed to start tomorrow and yesterday I felt like I didn't eat enough food. Even though what I eat normally doesn't leave me hungry. I'm always ravenous a couple days before I start. And last night I allowed myself to have a snack size Snickers it's 80 calories, but it allowed me to feel a little more satisfied.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Fake news! B)
    Kidding of course
  • badgermama220
    badgermama220 Posts: 22 Member
    So flipping real. Last week I was crazy hungry, it was so hard to stay within calorie goals, and most days I didn't :( then aunt flo hit, and it all made sense! Damn hormones!
  • Crazygraciegirl_
    Crazygraciegirl_ Posts: 73 Member
    I gave in yesterday during mine and ate mini Reese's peanut butter cups. They're about 45 calories/piece. Mini York peppermint patties are the BEST for a chocolate fix. Only 50 cals and 1g fat each. :) Hot chocolate usually satiates that craving too!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    My chocolate cravings have faded a LOT since I started taking a magnesium supplement. Might be worth looking into!

I used to live on Mountain Dew (caffeine/sugar) and M&Ms during my period. I still drink a lot of caffeine around that time, but I don't feel the need for chocolate anymore.

~Lyssa
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Definitely take magnesium. I read that being low on magnesium can definitely cause chocolate cravings. I tend to take a magnesium supplement, 5HTP, L-Tryptophan, Evening Primrose Oil, and Calcium, and that REALLY helps my cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Real, although I almost never have chocolate cravings. For me, it's typically carbs like bread or pasta (this month I really wanted a burger!).

The whole 'it's psychological' thing really irks me though. I've skipped periods, and if it was psychological, I would have got cravings anyway... never did. Funny thing too, I can tell from my Fitbit that my resting heart rate is going up at the same time than the cravings come. And some months are worse than others too...
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited February 2017
    So when I was in college, my godmother sent me one of those huge hershey kisses for Valentine's Day. I like chocolate, but wasn't in the mood to eat it when I got it, so put it on a shelf. It sat there for weeks, untouched. Until one day I ate that thing like a freaking apple. It wasn't until I was covered in chocolate that it occurred to me that I may have started my period (I get cravings right at the start).
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Real. I plan ahead in the days before and after as much as I can and eat at maintenance for 1-3 days.