Do you give in to cravings on a diet ( portion controlled) or ignore thsm

Options
Not sure what to do

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I give in, sometimes I ignore.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I plan for a treat every day, that helps knowing that I'm going to have something later on. But yeah, I give in sometimes too.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I usually give in and try to make it work within my goal for the day/week
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I give in and sometimes I ignore.

I know that's not helpful but it's true for me.

I have a candy jar with Hershey's Kisses. I buy single servings (10). Its my way of moderation. When I want chocolate I try to run a quick inventory, what/when have I eaten today, when did I last drink some water?

If I still want chocolate I'll go get one. I've noticed I don't even need to question myself much anymore and I can go days without having one.

Salty things rarely come in the house:) I eat those, like chips, only when eating out or a rare occasion.

ETA- I will test chips one day and I will win!!
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I give in otherwise I end up binge eating. Within my calories for the day usually but sometimes i've gone a bit over. It doesn't matter i just continue on with my calorie deficit for the next day
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I usually plan for it. I always save calories for a treat at the end of the day. If it's a high calorie item then I might save calories for a few days first.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have what I want, but I focus on quality (really nice chocolate, alcohol that comes in a most delicious beer) and portion control.

Some things aren't worth it for me. Chips, Oreos, fast food.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I try and work a small treat in to every day, but sometime the munchies hit hard. I will try to ignore it and focus on the root cause. More often than not I get the munchies when I am exhausted or didn't sleep enough. Once I know the real cause its easier to work through the cravings.

And sometimes you just have to cave :) If you do so with moderation you can usually balance it out over the next few days. Remember that life isn't perfect and part of this process is learning how to live forever with the changes you are making. If you learn how to manage your cravings, and how to indulge them in moderation, you are setting yourself up for success.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Mostly only give in if it fits, but sometimes I give in anyway. And then I talk to myself. Like, "you know, you're 500 calories over now, do you really want to carry on with this?"

And sometimes I don't, but other times, I do. Sometimes I have to enlist help by telling someone else I'm eating everything and then they take the food away or distract me with something shiny.

A big motivation for me is that binging on my treats feels like wasting them, as I enjoy them so much more when they're rationed out.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes.. I know most of my snacking desires occur in the evening, when more bored. I save my calories for the evenings so that I can snack and stay in my numbers. Just give your calories or macros the room they need to allow yourself some things.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If they fit into your calorie goals, why ever not?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Depends on the situation. If I crave chocolate I will break off a square and indulge - let it sit and savor. If I'm out with friends and celebrating - I indulge in the moment. I'm not going to pass on the lobster bisque and mousse when given the opportunity.

Dig deep and figure out if this is truly hunger or just a routine eating pattern. More often than not we are not hungry, but reacting to stimulus e.g. eating popcorn at the movies.

Identifying these bad habits and replacing with good habits is key.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories the food is, how many I have to work with, and if the food is a good value calorie wise. A 40 calorie piece of high quality chocolate? Yeah, I would probably eat it. Grocery store cookies? Yuck, pass. 1000 calorie slice of cheesecake? That's a hard decision.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Sometimes one, sometimes the other.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have small treats and work arounds in big portions -- things like protein fluff or protein cookies and brownies that satisfy that "treat" urge while supplying important macronutrients.
  • Majesticblondee26
    Majesticblondee26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice ! :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to overdo if I give in to cravings, and find it best to avoid...you need to determine what works best for you, abstaining or moderating. This may change as you progress. Neither is right or wrong.

http://www.pbfingers.com/abstainers-vs-moderators/