Macros vs calories

Options
I logged everything I've eaten today and already hit my macros. I even went over the protein goal. However, I still have 100 calories left over. And I also haven't eaten my dinner yet. Should I be done eating for the day? Is it damaging to go over your macro goals? Is one more important than the other?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    MFP must be having trouble with math today. It is fine to go over your macros. Eat your 100 calories and any exercise calories that have been added.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can't meet your macros and still have calories left over.
    Something is off in one or more of your entries. Either calories are wrong or the macros were entered wrong in the entries used from the database.

Calories come from your macros. So if you meet your macros you should be at your calorie goal.

I say double/triple check your entries. For reference:

Carbs and Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

• FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    MFP must be having trouble with math today. It is fine to go over your macros. Eat your 100 calories and any exercise calories that have been added.

Okay, thanks! I wonder if this happens to others as well. Most days I hit my macros well before my calories..
  • FitLaughLove
    Options

Something is off in one or more of your entries. Either calories are wrong or the macros were entered wrong in the entries used.

Calories come from your macros. So if you meet your macros you should be at your calorie goal.

Could be.. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible! It's just frustrating when things don't add up. Makes it hard to trust that it's working too!

• shadow2soul
    Options
    Something is off in one or more of your entries. Either calories are wrong or the macros were entered wrong in the entries used.

Could be.. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible! It's just frustrating when things don't add up. Makes it hard to trust that it's working too!

Not all the database entries are correct. Some are extremely wrong. I've seen chicken entries that only have 1/3 the amount of calories it should.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options

Not all the database entries are correct. Some are extremely wrong. I've seen chicken entries that only have 1/3 the amount of calories it should.

Wow, that's crazy! Well how many calories should 3 oz of grilled chicken be? I know it depends on things like how you cook it but generally how many?
  • shadow2soul
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Raw 3 oz is approximately 142 calories if its boneless skinless breast meat.

3 oz cooked will be more since water weight is lost during cooking. The 3 oz cooked would weigh more than 3 oz raw.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you open your food diary people could help you spot the rogue entries.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options

Holy *kitten* I've been using the one that says 96. This is great lol
  • FitLaughLove
    Options

What in the world.. I didn't type "kitten"
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    So how do you guys know which entries are accurate?
  • shadow2soul
    Options

What in the world.. I didn't type "kitten"

It's mfp blocking out naughty language. :wink:
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    So how do you guys know which entries are accurate?

I double check with package labels and for things like chicken/fruits/veggies I check the USDA food database. After awhile your recent foods list will all be accurate entries and you won't have to double check everything.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Heres an example:

I can tell this one is wrong just by comparing the protein to calories.

q1ebdyefnq3o.png

31 g protein is 124 calories
    10 g fat is 90 calories
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I logged everything I've eaten today and already hit my macros. I even went over the protein goal. However, I still have 100 calories left over. And I also haven't eaten my dinner yet. Should I be done eating for the day? Is it damaging to go over your macro goals? Is one more important than the other?

That's what alcohol is for :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If you had anything with artificial sweetener that can also throw things off- it counts as carbs but not calories.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hit your macros. Apparently the calories are way off on this app. You not the only one having this issue.
  • shadow2soul
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Hit your macros. Apparently the calories are way off on this app. You not the only one having this issue.

@kaizaku - The reason comes from inaccurate database entries which stem from the fact that the database is mostly user created. User created entries means there are a lot of errors, but at the same time because of the user created entries you can find just about anything you are looking for.

You will find entries that have calories but no macro information. Entries were the macros don't add up to the given caloric value. Entries were everything is off. The list goes on.
    Other apps such as Noom don't seem to add things to their database until they verify it for accuracy, but this means their database is limited and you have to manually enter all the information each time you want to log it till it is added.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Typing "USDA" after most things gets you the united states department of agriculture website listings.

I used those for 2 years and never had any issues losing my 110+ pounds

If i was eating chicken.. if i weighed it raw i would type "USDA Chicken breast, raw"
    If i was eating it cooked, however raw is more accurate, due to cooking methods and water loss, fat loss etc... i would type "USDA chicken breast cooked".. I also do this for my veggies "USDA Carrots" Etc.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

This assumes there is bone and skin on your chicken. Search for boneless, skinless if it applies to you.