Any other riders out there?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to MFP and so far - I'm a little horrified to tell you the truth! I always thought I ate pretty good and such but so far every day this week I have been over my calorie limit by A LOT :s and was really surprised! Im enjoying counting my calories though...I find it very interesting.

My main exercise program is eventing (triathalon on horseback). Any other riders out there? I wish the exercise portion of MFP had better "horseback riding" options. I dont know about any one else but I ride 4 days a week for at least a half hour doing my dressage, and jumping exercises and I am certain I burn more calories then the "horseback riding - trotting" option. Although I have no idea how many I burn - I have no idea how to find that information out.

I want to add more cardio to my life without taking up running - I've heard it does horrid things to your joints :s because I have a little bit extra tummy pudge I want to get rid of. This time last year I was 118lbs and at 11% body fat - not so anymore (damn you happy weight!) Any one got suggestions?

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Fitday.com and livestrong.com both have some good 'calorie's burned' tools and articles, but the one at this site is particularly easy to use:

http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp

The nice thing about it is that it factors in your current weight as part of the calcuation, which really does make a difference.
  • rosieef
    rosieef Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I ride too, and log as "horse riding general" - I have no idea how accurate it is but I ride 5 or 6 days a week, usually 1 day of stamina work over 2hrs and the rest more intense under 1hr. I tend to think MFP over-estimates rather than under though!

Running on a treadmill is better for joints than running on a road - and it helps if you can get some decent running shoes too, but if it's not for you then it's not for you! :smile:
  • stephault
    Options
    Not much useful to add, but I'm a rider, too. I am so out of shape right now! Rode for the first time after a 2 week vacation and logged it under 15 mins walking and 15 mins trotting, not sure how accurate it was.

I am transitioning my horse from jumpers to hunters, but found when I was riding seriously in the jumpers I really needed to run to keep myself in shape to ride. That worked great for a while until I developed arthritis in one foot and then tendinitis in the opposite Achilles tendon about a year ago. Since then I have gained about 20 pounds and am miserable about it. I am trying to find an exercise program that I can do without too much pain in my foot but without luck. I may try cycling soon.

Good luck to all the riders out there!