3 weeks to lose 7 pounds. any tips?!

Options
I'm off on holiday in 3 weeks and well i also need to drop half a stone to fit into my bridesmaid dress with absolute ease. i've lost a stone and i feel as though i've came to a stop which was disheartening, so i went on a binge and managed to put on half a stone back on. now i need advice and tips please. i have 3 weeks

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If the binge was very recent, and thus the gain, part of that is going to be water and will come off again when you eat normal.

BUT we don't know what you weigh. Is 7 pounds all you need to lose to reach ideal weight? If so, you may want to find an expert seamstress. If you're 25-35 pounds overweight then you may be able to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week. Eat 1300-1500 per day, accurately & honestly logging/weighing everything you eat.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You can also find shapewear that might help you fit into the dress.
  • ricmac68
    ricmac68 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high fat if you are looking for rapid drop. Water will release fairly quick. (eliminate breads, sweets)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry, probably not gonna happen.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    "Binge" = what, exactly? One day of massively overeating? One week of massively overeating? One month of massively overeating?

How fast did you regain those 7 pounds?

Best case scenario for you: It was a one day "binge" and you gained the 7 pounds overnight. If so, it wasn't "real" weight gain and you can absolutely lose it in 3 weeks. If that's the case, most of the gain will be the weight of extra food in your system plus a bunch of water weight from increased intake of sugar and salt. Go back to eating at maintenance levels (or very slightly lower), drink lots of water and try to keep salt and simple carbs (including sugar) to a minimum. This is the "how to drop water weight" approach. The reason I'm suggesting eating close to maintenance is so that you don't suffer another "binge".

More likely scenario: "Binge" added 3-5 pounds; the rest is "real" (i.e. fat) weight. In which case, aim for a deficit of 500 cals/day and focus on foods that give you a lot of nutrition for the calories - and foods that fill you up for the calories. Again, keep an eye on simple carbs and sodium.

If it's all fat (in other words, if you actually ate 24,500 calories more than you burned), I'm afraid you're probably out of luck in terms of losing that much weight that fast. But you could still try the approach above to lose what you reasonably can lose in that timeframe.

I'm also seconding the recommendation for shapewear - which can work wonders!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    At this point I also vote for first class shapewear. You don't want to faint at the wedding. That is even more embarrassing.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    As people have said: if you're obese, or overweight a 2lb per week drop MIGHT happen.

If you're normal weight, and you want to be able to stand during the wedding, you may prefer a seamstress, shapeware, and some continued normal weight loss as others have mentioned.

Yes, if you want to "play" with water weight, going low carb 2-3 days before the event will get you to drop your glycogen stores and a bunch of water (in other words "weight", and give you the IMPRESSION that you've lost fat (because losing weight does NOT = losing fat). You may also not feel particularly well during that time period (google keto flu)

The best advice I can give you is that "giving up in disgust and eating all da foodz" is probably extremely counterproductive to anything lasting.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agree with the low carb high fat poster above. I can fluctuate up to 10 lbs between a high carb and low carb eating phase (I've got maybe 15 lbs of fat I'd like to lose); this is water but it still significantly alters your size, so you'd likely fit comfortably in the dress. The water loss is due to eliminating glycogen stores in your liver and muscle (each gram of glycogen holds 3-4 g water), and decreasing your average insulin levels.
    Keep your total calories at a sensible level, try for about 65% fat, 20-25% protein, and the rest carbs, just ballparking it. Also keep in mind that you shouldn't include fiber in carb totals, as it's not metabolized. Finally, eat more sodium than you normally would - salt everything - as fluid loss is going to take electrolytes with it.

I wouldn't normally advocate a specific diet for someone - everyone needs to find out what works for them based off of their lifestyle - but given you're asking for rapid weight loss for an event, this is the best method I know of.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    At this point I also vote for first class shapewear. You don't want to faint at the wedding. That is even more embarrassing.

Totally agree with this. Some good shapeware can work miracles.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    Hollywood diet lose weight in 2 days. I lost 11lbs!
    Ignore this - the poster has tried all the crash diets including the troll diet
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Are you just trying to lose the 7lb you gained, or to lose another 7lb on top of that? If you're just trying to lose the 7lb you gained due to binging, you can probably do that as it will be mostly water. Losing 7lb of fat over that timescale is not realistic.