What foods do you eat to get in more protein?

Options
I have been trying to up my protein intake because I'm eating in a caloric surplus and weight training 5-6 days a week. I have been having a hard time hitting my goal I always seem to fall short. I have a protein shake and bar almost everyday! Does anyone have any advice on how to get in more protein? Is there anything that is your go-to when it comes to getting in more protein?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Meat and eggs? Greek yogurt?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, dairy little and often. Pork rinds. Beef jerky.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything special. Just normal food?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? Perhaps it is set up really high.

If you're in a surplus to gain muscle, while protein helps...carbs are king for a bulk.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The highest protein foods in the least calories are these (highest protein/calorie ratio): Egg whites, white fish, protein powder isolate, bone broth, lean chicken/turkey/pork, then fat free greek yogurt and then cottage cheese. The ratio drops off dramatically after that. Other foods have protein for sure, but the ratio to calories is lower.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How many times are you eating per day?
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'll have a handful of cooked shrimp and/or I'll cook up a ground turkey patty with herbs/spices and put a little Greek yogurt on top to help with dryness (if I overcook the turkey too much :(
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MORE MEATTT :) but serious u only need 0.82 protein ( several studies )when bulking to put on muscle in mince for example there about 22-24 for someone weighing 160 pounds they would need only like 600 grams of mince to get their protein targets and that's not including all the other foods they had. protein becomes alot more important to reach when cutting though as you can lose muscle if target arnt reached as i did back in the day :'( any lol all the best ;)
  • cheezinchels
    cheezinchels Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is 129 grams of protein! My body weight is 145ish lol and I'm five foot eight!
  • cheezinchels
    cheezinchels Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And I'm trying to eat 5 times a day but I have found it difficult I have been like basically forcing myself to eat! Lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Those in between meals can be beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, and snack size Greek yogurt. More portable that way.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Organic Greek yogurt... You can find some that are 90 calories for 18g of protein... It's a total protein hack if there ever was one
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And I'm trying to eat 5 times a day but I have found it difficult I have been like basically forcing myself to eat! Lol

@cheezinchels
    I have mine split into 6 meals. When I first started eating in a surplus it was tough, but I got used to it.

Make meal 6 before bed a protein shake with some non-sugary carb with a little fat like almonds.

How much are you falling short?

Chicken and steak are the most dense, to my knowledge. Seafoods take a little more to get there, but seems like it's easier to eat more of. Ground turkey is easy to eat as well and high in protein.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At least 100g of lean meat each meal, 4 meals a day.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Okay well 129g of protein is totally reasonable.

Do you mind opening your diary so we can make some suggestions about what things you can swap out to consume more protein?
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 4 meals a day (40g/ea) but 2 are shakes and a piece of fruit... Usually I throw in an extra quest bar and yogurt and I'm up to 200g... I weigh just over 180lbs