Any good alternatives to side plank??

Options
I have attempted the side plank several times but ankles and knees really don't like it. Any alternatives?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try split squats holding a dumbbell in 1 hand, with the other hand empty. To make it harder, hold the weight out to your side. :+1:
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You could put one leg down for your your side plank and build from there?tbofw71odbpe.jpg
    Use a mat underneath you.
  • MacaronStyle
    MacaronStyle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would do a modified side plank as pictured.

35w19i32qurc.png
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I hate side planks too...they seem to bother my shoulders more than feeling it in my obliques or abs.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Side dips while holding weight plates. Russian twists.
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I will try these and see what works best :)
  • gkorn17
    gkorn17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would do a modified side plank as pictured.

35w19i32qurc.png

As a PT I recommend starting with this. Add a BOSU ball just above the knee for an added challenge while maintaining some knee bend

• Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You might be asking the wrong question...why would you want to do a side plank? I have managed to avoid them so far.... :smiley:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Side planks bother my shoulder and neck alot. The modified side plank works for me but I have to careful about how long I hold it. I can do side dips on TRX without too many problems. When you have a problem area like that it can be tough to find an appropriate effective exercise. Hope some of these suggestions here help!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I feel like my elbow is going to snap the wrong way when I do these. I drop to my forearm. They still suck though, lol.
  • 1ocean1girl
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    You might be asking the wrong question...why would you want to do a side plank? I have managed to avoid them so far.... :smiley:

LOL, I do try to avoid them as much as possible but some of my workout videos have them in it. I do my best to follow move for move... but I become a clumsy, unstable puppy when attempting these. ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »

That's the right question.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I don't like them because they are hard on the shoulder. I switched to sideways leg lifts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't like them because they are hard on the shoulder. I switched to sideways leg lifts.
    yeppers- I wound up with a lot of shoulder problems from doing do many side plank/movement things when I used to train HIIT all the time.

now I minimize any direct shoulder impact (i.e. side plank) and find other ways to accomplish the same thing.
  • 1ocean1girl
    Options
    Thank you guys for your advice :)