The reason why I want to lose weight and get fit

2»

Replies

• artluv22
    artluv22 Posts: 65 Member
    artluv22 wrote: »
    How much should I do? I'm definitely doing crunches or sit-ups and squats

That's a good start, but working up to more and lifting weights would be good.

I do 1 hour of strength training & lifting weights 3 times per week. But you're doing 5 days a week so the equivalent would be 36 minutes of strength/lifting.

What strength training exercises do you do and how many sets? How much do you lift and how many sets? So basically, you lift and strength train 20 min a day 3x a week.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited February 2017
    How much should I do? I'm definitely doing crunches or sit-ups and squats

That's a good start, but working up to more and lifting weights would be good.

I do 1 hour of strength training & lifting weights 3 times per week. But you're doing 5 days a week so the equivalent would be 36 minutes of strength/lifting.

What strength training exercises do you do and how many sets? How much do you lift and how many sets? So basically, you lift and strength train 20 min a day 3x a week.

No... I lift and strength train for a full hour (plus a quick warm up plus stretching before and after) 3 times a week- so 3 hours a week total. I also do 20 to 30 minutes of HIIT cardio about 2 times per week, and if the weather is nice I also walk 2 or 3 miles around my neighborhood a couple times per week, and hike 3 or 4 miles maybe twice a month.

I personally like to do circuit style training mixing body weight exercises and weight lifting, and do 3 sets of each exercise. My reps range from 8 to 15 reps depending on the exercise and amount of weight I'm using.

I do full body workouts so they vary, but here is one of my typical workouts and the weights and reps I use- but I've been training for over a year now and what different people can lift is always different- I also have a hip issue so use lighter weight on deadlifts than someone who has been training as long as me typically might. You want to use whatever weight you can properly perform the exercise with, but the last couple reps should be very challenging to complete.

FYI I create my own workouts specifically tailored to my own goals and preferences... and I don't do typical body builder splits.

Here is one of my back butt & core workouts:

Back butt core

5 min treadmill walk at 3.5 mph
    Warm up stretching

3 sets each:

•Deadlifts w/ 45 lb bar 12 reps
    •body weight calf raises 20 reps
    •V tuck crunches 12 reps

•Landmine squat & press w/ 45 lb bar x 15 reps
    •Bent rows 15 lb dumbbells x10 reps
    •leg lifts (no weight) 12 reps each leg

•back extensions (no weight) 10 reps
    •captains chair knee tucks 12 reps
    •back lunge to high knees (no weight) 10 reps each leg

•assisted pull ups 85 lb assist 12 reps
    •cable glute kick backs 35 lbs 10 reps each leg

Finisher (1 set each):
    •glute bridges 25 reps
    •bird dogs 12 reps each side
    •crunches 25 reps
    •core trainer 30 reps

Cool down stretching
  • courtneyfabulous
    Something like this might be a bit much for a beginner- I had to work up to this.
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited February 2017
    Also the next workout would be completely different exercises that work different muscle groups, like maybe biceps, shoulders, and quads. I always do at least a little core work though, and generally do at least a few lower body exercises with each workout, though different ones than the time previous. And I always leave 1 to 2 days between strength training workouts since mine are kind of long and intense I like at least a day in between for recovery.

Again this is not typical body builder style training - but it's how I like to train and it's been working great for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yeah I want a killer bod, one I can look in mirror and go wow, super proud, confident, healthy and even more happy. It's achievable but harder to achieve when your life has no routine like mine

My initial start was the same workout and eating 1200 calories, but that will NOT make me toned. It's not enough calories. I'm gonna eat 1550 from now on. I'd like to have a body like Rihanna or Ciara, since we're around the same height.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/135251147/large.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMTqJD7WEAAlYio.jpg

If you already have a muscle base like that and proportions/genetics.. otherwise it may take a few bulk/cut cycles with glute focused lifting to get around there (more referring to the second pic).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I hope with 1550 cal, 45 min of moderate cardio and 15 min of strength training 5 days a week, and walking 30 minutes daily, i can lose weight and be toned

I'd change that to 3 days strength training and 2 days cardio, personally, if I had your goals.
  • courtneyfabulous
    I hope with 1550 cal, 45 min of moderate cardio and 15 min of strength training 5 days a week, and walking 30 minutes daily, i can lose weight and be toned

I'd change that to 3 days strength training and 2 days cardio, personally, if I had your goals.

Same here, that's what I lprefer