I HATE my nutritionist

Options
Okay, so I went there today for my appt. She pretty much handed me the food guide, told me I don't eat enough and that coconut oil is bad for you. WTF.

'Apparently' MFP will not work in the long run b/c its too obsessive (counting calories) just like weight watchers, etc. and you do not plan on doing it for the rest of your life.

I wanted to smack her and say 'ITS WORKING'.

Grrr. I feel like somebody just said something mean about my mom or something!

Anyway just felt like venting!

Replies

• jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I went there today for my appt. She pretty much handed me the food guide, told me I don't eat enough and that coconut oil is bad for you. WTF.

'Apparently' MFP will not work in the long run b/c its too obsessive (counting calories) just like weight watchers, etc. and you do not plan on doing it for the rest of your life.

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    that's horrible. you finally found something that's working and she dismisses it! i thought nutritionists were the ones TELLING us to count calories....i'd find someone else.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Is she stupid? Seriously?

Of course it's obsessive. Obviously none of us thought twice before about chowing down on all those calories, so we MUST focus on them.

It takes a long time to break old habits and create new ones. After long enough on this site, eating right will come naturally.

There are many "MFP Graduates".

Ugh, stupid people in roles of authority IRRITATE ME.

Grrrrr at that nutritionist too! :angry:
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for being mad!!

Maybe we don't want to count calories forever, but if we do it for a while, we will automatically learn what we should/can eat daily to keep ourselves in check. It's a learning process and this is one step in the journey. Take that nutritionist!!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Jeez... I'm so sorry. That would be very frustrating! She's obviously not very good at her job if she's just going to be dismissive and treat you with disrespect. You've found something that works, so I say stick with it.

True, we won't want to be on MFP every day for the rest of our lives... but I look at it as a training program. I'm training myself to recognize what proper portions look like, what balanced meals should look and feel like. I'm training myself to be conscious of what and how much I'm putting in my mouth! I'm here to learn good habits that I can take with me and use the rest of my life. It's working for me...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Can you change nutrionists??
    Doctors and nutritionists worldwide recommend food diaries.
    Are you sure you weren't being secretly filmed for "Punk'd"??
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    is there any way you can find a new one to better suit your needs?
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    They all say that because they want you to learn to choose healthy foods after you are done dieting.. Most people loose the weight, and go back to their own bad habits..MFP is great to help you get to your goal, then if you arent going to count calories, you need to learn to make better choices..thats all...
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    three simple words-

DUMP HER QUICK

she is jealous that there is free site replacing her....dump her, tell her have a nice day
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I had no idea about portions and measuring before i started on here. One day I'll just know how to read my body and logging every morsel won't be necessary.
    But until then, do what works.....and tell Tam to go beat her up....after she has the baby!
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    She sounds like she doesn't know what she is talking about. I say, if it is working for you- stick with it. I love MFP and feel that is really helping me learn to be held accountable for what I eat. I am eating more using MFP than if I would be trying to lose the weight without this tool. Because I would be scared I was eating TOO much. GRRRRR.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you should forget about it and keep up the good work you have been doing and using the site if you like it! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I think you will find you can do this the rest of your life, I believe it was Banks that shared before he left here how he could pretty much figure out in his head exatctly what each food amount was...so I do believe measuring and such won't last forever.

Sometimes we just don't have the right match as far as dieticians, therapists, nutritionists. I imagine it felt pretty crummy to have her tell you that what you are doing (what you feel is working well for you) is not right. I think professionals can be very helpful but if we feel we are doing something healthy and they disagree sometimes we have to reavalute the situation.

I will agree though Coconut oil isn't typically thought of as heatlhy from what I've learned. I don't know if you are keeping within your cals on MFP and she doesn't agree with that or if you are keeping them a bit lower than would be healthy for you...only you know that.

Perhaps chill a bit and think on what you want for you, your goals, etc. I would be the last person in the world to tell you to drop a professional as I don't know the entire situation but you do have a say in the matter.

my thoughts...:flowerforyou:
    FC:heart:
  • CaseyCBeard
    Options

My first question is: What is MFP? I don't think I've heard of it.

Second, I wouldn't bash your nutritionist. From what I have seen, each nutritionist has a "way" that they think works best so they will use that "way" with their clients. Or, sometimes the way we try to "diet" is not healthy or will not have long lasting results...AKA "Quick Fix." So, I can somewhat understand where she may be coming from.

Now, for you, congratulations on finding something that works for you! :drinker: (it was the only smiley I could find that seemed congratulatory) Stick with it if it works! If you are truly unhappy with your nutritionist, try to find one that will work with you (not agree with you always) and try to find a common way for you to get healthy.

I personally have been using this website to keep track of my food because I personally hate the Weight Watchers way (although it works for MANY) and I have found that I eat better and I am more conscienscious (spelling?) about what I put in my mouth. I'm also doing P90 through BeachBody too. My end note:

Keep up the great work!
    This site is amazing and can help you figure out what you're eating and what is actually good for you!

Casey
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Second, I wouldn't bash your nutritionist. From what I have seen, each nutritionist has a "way" that they think works best so they will use that "way" with their clients. Or, sometimes the way we try to "diet" is not healthy or will not have long lasting results...AKA "Quick Fix." So, I can somewhat understand where she may be coming from.

Now, for you, congratulations on finding something that works for you! :drinker: (it was the only smiley I could find that seemed congratulatory) Stick with it if it works! If you are truly unhappy with your nutritionist, try to find one that will work with you (not agree with you always) and try to find a common way for you to get healthy.

I personally have been using this website to keep track of my food because I personally hate the Weight Watchers way (although it works for MANY) and I have found that I eat better and I am more conscienscious (spelling?) about what I put in my mouth. I'm also doing P90 through BeachBody too. My end note:

Keep up the great work!
    This site is amazing and can help you figure out what you're eating and what is actually good for you!

Casey

My Fitness Pal, for us lazy folks :wink:

And on that note as well, welcome to MFP Casey! :flowerforyou: You are cute as a button. I love your smile- it's infectious!! :bigsmile:
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options

:explode: I had the same reaction from an appt I made a while back. But she basically laughed at me. I'm short, I'm over 50, and I like beer. She handed me the book, went over some numbers, and sent me on my way. I was so mad. So I don't think anyone gets much help from these people.
    Pam
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

She handed me the book, went over some numbers, and sent me on my way.

okay, gotta know
    What 'book'???
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sod the nutritionist- we all know whats what- easy on the fats, sugar and salt- muchos on the veggies and fruit and water- dont go over the recommended calorie amount.

Unless you think you may have allergies I would knock it on the head (metaphorically):wink:

MFP is a tool to re-educate how we think about food and eating so that we can all be healthy once the stabilizers come off.

Thats my two pennies worth anyway.
  • NoraEE
    NoraEE Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That sucks; you made a great decision in seeking out a person to help you manage your health, and you're left feeling like you were doing something wrong.

I hope you don't give up on seeing a nutritionist completely, though. MFP is a really great and helpful tool, but it's not a medical guide, and it may turn out that there are important things about your health that you can only get from a professional who can talk with you in person. Like anything else, I think it's really important to find the doctor that is right for YOU, who can work with you and who listens to your opinions. Don't give up on the whole thing just because this one nutritionist was lousy!

And, in conclusion.....congratulations on how far you've come already!
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options

She handed me the book, went over some numbers, and sent me on my way.

okay, gotta know
    What 'book'???
    Exchange Lists for weight management.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Okay, I realize I was a little hasty in my anger, however it was very frustrating for me!

I have lost 11 pounds so far in 4 weeks which I think is AWESOME, and will continue to lose with the help of this site.

It wasn't a total loss as she did have a few good suggestions for me, but it's hard to pick the gems out of the rest of what she said. Thank goodness I live in Canada where health care is free!

Thanks to all MFP friends for making me feel better! You all rock! You guys are a huge part of the reason I am here (and not doing this a different way), having such a strong support system from people who are going through the exact same thing has and will continue to be instrumental in my success. THANK - YOU :):heart: