Aleve for pain?

Options
oshmom
oshmom Posts: 78 Member
I have plantar faciaitis (sp?) on my left heel. It feels like there is a pebble lodged in it and it is painful to simply walk on let alone workout. I have had to stop Zumba and trail running, and just stick with the elliptical for a while. (I know, I should swim or bike!)

I have always been an Ibuprofen user, but tried Aleve for the first time this week. It seems to help about 3 hours later, and be ok for another 3 hours. Here is the odd thing, I get a headache with Aleve. Is that common? It seems counter-productive for a pain pill!

Thoughts?

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    aleve or the generic.... is the only thing that works for me for any kind of pain.
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I prefer aleve to other pain meds, but it's never actually given me a headache. Maybe you should talk with your doctor about it?
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Some people are susceptible to just this sort of reaction. My best friend has something called headache rebound syndrome. She takes just about any pain med for an ache or injury and ends up with a major headache and sometimes even a migraine.

Ibuprofen seems to be the only one she can take.

Now on the the PF... have you tried massaging the foot with an ice bottle?
    I take a cheap plastic bottle of water, and keep it in the freezer. At the end of the day, I sit on the couch watching my shows and roll my foot across the frozen bottle. It sounds fairly useless, but it really does help. I don't have chronic PF, but I had an acute injury that was basically the same thing (according to my doc) and this is one of the things that helped. A tennis ball in the morning when I first woke up was very helpful too.
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Aleve works for me, but no headaches.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    No, no, no, and no! I had plantar fasciitis and it was extremely painful. The proper medically prescribed treatment for plantar fasciitis is stretching. Here is how to do the stretch: http://www.topendsports.com/medicine/stretches/calf-gastroc.htm

This stretch done properly should not cause any pain. Do the stretch every day (probably for the rest of your life) for 30 secs. each side. The pain should be gone in 2-3 weeks. If not, you have a different condition.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find Aleve (naproxen) gives me horrible stomach pain. Tylenol doesn't touch any headaches or pain I have, so I stick with ibuprofen or aspirin.
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I have done the ice bottle. I had PF on the other heel a couple years ago. And I do stretch and have used a sleeping sock. This time the pain is an actual bump on the heel. Previously the other heel was sore with no bump. My sports doc is out until August, so he suggested Aleve until I could get in to see him. Streching does not help the pain, as the pain is not in the arch of my foot.

Thanks for all the help! The headache is annoying!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I have done the ice bottle. I had PF on the other heel a couple years ago. And I do stretch and have used a sleeping sock. This time the pain is an actual bump on the heel. Previously the other heel was sore with no bump. My sports doc is out until August, so he suggested Aleve until I could get in to see him. Streching does not help the pain, as the pain is not in the arch of my foot.

Thanks for all the help! The headache is annoying!

It sounds like a heel spur is causing your PF. Good luck at doc's office :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I never had any kind of relief from Naproxen. Doctors seem to love prescribing it, but it doesn't do a thing for me.