Best exercise to lose weight pleaseeee?!

Options
Hi all :) Iv just started the gym
And really want to lose weight anyone no the best type of excercise to lose it ??

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is based on Calories in versus calories out. Get that right and you can lose weight with or without exercise.

If you want to exercise then generally picking something that you enjoy is the best strategy. So, at the gym if you like walking on the treadmill whilst listening to music you're most likely to stick at it, if that is what you do when you go to the gym.

Having said that, to ensure that the weight that you lose is fat rather than muscle, strength training is advised. Studies have shown that progressive (getting harder as you get stronger) strength work (body weight exercises, machines, or free weights) help spare muscle loss when in calorie deficit.

Best wishes
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    All of the.
    None of them.
    The one (or more) you enjoy and will stick with.

Gym is a place to get fit / stay fit - not really where you will lose weight. It may contribute but it's a minor player in the equation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No exercise will help us lose weight if we are eating more than we burn.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy that burns a lot of calories to help you get your deficit. You technically could just do it through eating at a deficit, and not worry about exercise at all, but I love the fitness benefits of exercise and it helps create the deficit you need for weight loss.

Trail running on real-life hilly terrain works really well for me, but that's not at the gym - which is what you asked for. Something that burns a ton of calories for me that is at the gym would be that stairmaster thing on beast mode. Burns calories faster than the other machines (for me, personally.) Not sure if that's true for everyone... Good luck! :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Just to lose weight, as above - a calorie deficit.

So, if you want an exercise to help you achieve that while still being able to eat a reasonable amount (I'll often look at it that the exercise lets me eat more with the added bonus of better fitness), whatever you enjoy doing (or dislike the least) that you can do for a sustained period to get a decent calorie burn.

Often I find something good to watch keeps me going, on an exercise bike/tread mill/cross trainer.
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    through personal trial and error... i have learnt that loosing weight by cutting calories is great if you want to loose a few lbs quickly however burning body fat by eating the right foods has a greater result, youll appear more toned. I find that the gym is a place to escape and that you have to enjoy it.
  • Kempxx
    Kempxx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all :) I am dieting at the same time which I should have mentioned!!