What's your signal to stop the glorious bulk?

What's your signal?

My work uniforms are all the same size and are rather tight now - which is my signal that things are getting a bit too fluffy. I want to arbitrarily hit 230 before cutting back down if I can, I've been hovering around 226 for almost a month now though. I've been doing one week mini cuts every so often (6-8) to help prolong he bulking process, and it has been working really well for me. Not saying it's right or wrong, I had never done it before but it's helped me stay leaner than I normally would. Something to consider.

Hoping to hit 230 in about 8 weeks and then start the cut so I'm not mistaken for the white whale when I take the fan out in the boat.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Usually once your body fat starts to exceed 17-18%, it's time to cut.
  • formerpl
    formerpl Posts: 59 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Agreed. I personally don't even really like being super low % (8-10) - prefer to hang out in the mid teens by bro science visual check method.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

This.

Also why aim for an arbitrary goal? Is there any need to hit 230? Don't get me wrong, I did exactly the same thing and ended up at 260lbs and 25%+ bodyfat.

You'd be better of getting down to 8-12% then slowly bulking (200-300 calorie surplus).
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    When the power belly hinders testicular visualisation.

That is probably the best response I have seen on my time here
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    When the power belly hinders testicular visualisation.

What if one can't see said testicles in spite of having exposed abs? Needs moar ab wheel, HLRs, and deadlifts otherwise. ;)
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    There are a couple of notches in my belt that I oscillate between, so in the morning if the first notch feels tight I know it's time to cut, if the second is loose then it's time to stop my cut.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me it's usually time. If I want to look awesome for summer or a vacation, I gotta start cutting at some point.. otherwise I would probably perma-bulk
  • DuckDogTitus
    DuckDogTitus Posts: 1 Member
    I don't know your training routine at all, but having also come from a weight gain goal, I can say that I have been putting extra emphasis on rebuilding my legs (back injury a year+ ago) as a good source for poundage, lean muscle mass, etc.

So I've just been adding in more hamstring and glute accessory work. Adding RDLs etc to front and back squats.