Feeling really discouraged

Options
So let me start out by saying I used to be in amazing shape. Such good shape that people offered to train me for fitness competitions. Eating healthy & working out were such huge priorities to me. But then I went through a really rough separation/divorce which caused me to lose focus. Then when I tried getting back into the gym I injured my ankle really bad which caused me to not be able to work out for several weeks.

Now I'm in a new relationship & have put on that "happy weight". And I am in a much happier place in my life which is great. But I'm just really disappointed that I feel I let all my hard work go. I look back at pics from a year ago & tell myself it's impossibly to look like that again or that I'll never be able to get back into shape like that. I say every day that I'm going to do better. Then I half *kitten* it at the gym & come home & eat crap.

I'm 5'4 & when I looked my best was around 130 pounds. Now I'm around 145 & I'm so unhappy with the way I look & how tight my clothes fit. I just don't know how to get back into that mindset of health and fitness being a huge priority.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you've been in that shape before, why is it impossible to get back there?
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options

I think it's just something I think to sabotage myself
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    So let me start out by saying I used to be in amazing shape. Such good shape that people offered to train me for fitness competitions. Eating healthy & working out were such huge priorities to me. But then I went through a really rough separation/divorce which caused me to lose focus. Then when I tried getting back into the gym I injured my ankle really bad which caused me to not be able to work out for several weeks.

Now I'm in a new relationship & have put on that "happy weight". And I am in a much happier place in my life which is great. But I'm just really disappointed that I feel I let all my hard work go. I look back at pics from a year ago & tell myself it's impossibly to look like that again or that I'll never be able to get back into shape like that. I say every day that I'm going to do better. Then I half *kitten* it at the gym & come home & eat crap.

I'm 5'4 & when I looked my best was around 130 pounds. Now I'm around 145 & I'm so unhappy with the way I look & how tight my clothes fit. I just don't know how to get back into that mindset of health and fitness being a huge priority.

What exactly did you do that worked in the past?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think it's just something I think to sabotage myself

well only you can remedy that...

as the saying goes 'whether you think you can, or you think you cant, you're right!'
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options

Ate clean, used MFP to monitor my calories & worked out 5-6 days a week.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Okay cool!
    Do that again!

If eating clean is too much this time, do it 70% of the time.

If logging MFP is too much this time, log 70%.

If working out 5-6 days is too much this time, work out 3-4 days.

;)
    You got this!
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options

Okay cool!
    Do that again!

If eating clean is too much this time, do it 70% of the time.

If logging MFP is too much this time, log 70%.

If working out 5-6 days is too much this time, work out 3-4 days.

;)
    You got this!

Thank you so much!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You've done it before, you can do it again. If you make the changes now, the August you will be fitter, the December version even more so and by this time next year you'll want to high five the today you who decided to make the change and get back on it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You did it before, you WILL do it again, have faith in yourself :smile: and its not that much to lose, so start now and you'll be glad you did come summer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a fifty-something grandmother I am popping in to suggest that looking back is no way to move forward. You might enjoy this process more if you set a positive goal for yourself in the near future, like a fitness competition.
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Age can be a factor as well. My BEST shape in my life was when I was 43/44. Yeah sure, I was skinny as a rail in my late teens and early 20's but I smoked, I ate junk food and I didn't exercise except when required to do so by the military. Here I sit at 48 realizing I can't do as I did in my 20's, 30's or even early 40's. Emotional changes come as well as the physical ones. Keep climbing on that horse and don't give up. Accept the lovely person you are but also continue to strive to do better.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I swear I'm going to re read these comments when I am feeling like I'm about to skip a workout or reach for those cookies!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Yeah. You'll get back there. You're only 15 pounds off from where you want to be. I think once you get started and can feel some progress, your body and mind will remember how great you felt and you'll get back on track. It's not fun starting over, but thankfully you caught this before you spiraled up too high :heart:
  • AbbottJames
    AbbottJames Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been in this situation in the past, I believe the best approach is to take it one small step at a time. I used to be in pretty good shape. I was also 15 years younger and LIVED in the gym. Now with more responsibilities, an older body and 100+ pounds to shed, I would always "start back" on my program from 15 years ago with vigor. I would make it about a few days before getting frustrated and giving up.

I would ALWAYS think about how I used to look and compare it to my current state. This was self-sabotage.

It wasn't until a family member who had never been into fitness at all said to me: "You're not going to get back there overnight. Realize that it's going to take work and time. Start small. Don't get upset if you can only workout twice per week. It's more than zero times per week. If you go over your calories, don't beat yourself up. Just keep going like it didn't happen and focus on your future decisions."

This really helped me. It's taken 2 years and some ups and downs, but I'm coming up on 70 lbs lost so far.

You CAN do this!
  • jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4'' and about 10 pounds more than you. I wish I would have started when I hit 145 instead of waiting longer but... it is what it is. I am proud of you for acknowledging your weight gain so early in the process (I wish I had instead of ignoring it). The good news is- you have less work to do to reach your goal. Remember that being in good shape will affect other areas of your life in a positive way and prioritizing your fitness will be SO worth it. I am excited for you!
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    You are all so amazing! Your encouragement & amazing advice has made me feel like I can really do this! Thank you so, so much!