Too much cardio?

Options
Two - three months ago I started strength training 3x a week. It's going great and I feel so much stronger already. I also do Zumba or other types of cardio (running or elliptical) twice a week. I still have 15-20lbs I'd like to lose. Should I step up the cardio or would that hurt my strength training?
What would be the best way to lose fat AND gain muscle?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't really do both, unless you go for a slow recomp. With 15lbs to lose you just need to keep doing what you're doing for now...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cardio effecting your training is dependent on the volume, frequency, and intensity of your training. Are you tired before lifting weights, are you progressing?

Lose fat and gain muscle is a recomp by eating at maintenance and stimulating muscles enough for growth.

Is it the best? Well its the only way to do both and takes quite a long time to see results.

A different option is to cut weight by eating in a deficit until you reach a lower body fat percentage and then begin bulking by eating in a surplus and progressive lifting. Much more common and sustainable for most people.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can probably handle more cardio if you want to do it. I cardio every day and still strength train twice a week. Just make sure you are on a good progressive lifting program and that you feel fully recovered before each session.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Rockin2014 wrote: »
    Two - three months ago I started strength training 3x a week. It's going great and I feel so much stronger already. I also do Zumba or other types of cardio (running or elliptical) twice a week. I still have 15-20lbs I'd like to lose. Should I step up the cardio or would that hurt my strength training?
    What would be the best way to lose fat AND gain muscle?

To lose fat, a calorie deficit. To keep your strength, make it a small deficit. Probably a goal of no more that 3/4 of a pound a week would be good. Exercise is primarily for things other than weight loss. The only way is speeds up weight loss is if it increases your calorie deficit. However, increasing your calorie deficit when you have so little to lose would likely result in muscle loss even with the muscle sparing effect of weight lifting.

If you want to do more cardio, you would also have to fuel it by eating more, so in the long run it will all even out. If you are making progress right now, stick to what you are doing.

This thread would probably be a good one to read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You're on a nice pace. If anything up your protein intake with as much whole foods as possible. Only you can prevent forest fires and only you know when you should add more resistance (aka weight) once you feel you're getting stronger and not seeing the same results as before
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While you can gain a little muscle while on a deficit, a lot of factors come into play; how new to lifting you are (noob gains), size of your deficit, protein level, have you previously trained, genetics, etc...

If you still have 10-15 lbs to lose, i would have a small deficit (~10 to 15% below maintenance), follow a good structured lifting routine (what is your actual routine?), and eat adequate protein (~.6-.8g per lb of weight).

Incorporate cardio as you like.