How many of you keep your food diary?

Options
13»

Replies

• tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If I could do it on my own I wouldn't weigh what I do. I have to count, measure, and record. Will it be forever? I don't know but it works for me.
  • bethy0316
    bethy0316 Posts: 75
    Options
    I log my breakfast and lunch before my snacks ... then see how much is left and if I am able to have a good dinner as well as snacks.

It's a great tool to plan ahead with ... I also use the app on my phone.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I know from 7 years of exeperience, that I only lose weight when I track. I stop tracking, I gain.

So, yep, I track everday, every meal, every bite. Is it a pain? Yes. Is it worth it to maintain a healthy weight? YES!
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hard time with it now, but that's only because I finally got my iPhone last week.... Before it was REALLY hard for me to sign on & do it...now I just log it as I eat it & it's easy. I especially love that I can scan the barcodes on the labels & it knows! :happy:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in February 2011 and have tracked every single day, with exception to when I was out of the country w/no internet access for 8 days. I can eyeball things fairly well but if I am home I always weigh and measure to make sure my counts are accurate. It has worked for me so far, so I am not messing with success!

Admittedly, if I didn't have a smartphone, I would probably find logging in to be a drag.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always used to be able to maintain/lose no problem without counting calories or keeping a food diary. I've actually stopped counting calories again and I feel 100x better. I lost 30lbs on my own without counting calories and it makes me really stressed out when I do count them so I'm not going to bother anymore. It's really easy to maintain your weight without counting calories. My mother has lost 35lbs all on her own without counting calories and by changing her diet to a healthier one while still eating what she wants.

For some people, they need to count calories or they gain easily. For my mother and I, we don't have to do that. It all depends on what works for you at the end of the day.
  • Monika135
    Monika135 Posts: 66
    Options
    I recently started "logging' in my food diary again, and it really puts things in perspective for me. I treat like a game...where can I make extra calories available...where's the wiggle room?
  • Monika135
    Options
    :heart:
  • Monika135
    Options
    Yeah, I do it from my phone, too. It is easy to add things on my phone when I just have a few minute between appointments or tasks.

I have an android phone...is there an app for scanning barcodes? FUN!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've lost weight without logging anything. In fact, I lost most of the 23 lbs I lost this time before joining this site. But I do like logging it, even though a lot of the time I don't really know if the calories (food or exercise) are correct on there because I don't want to wear a heart monitor and usually don't have to time to verify the foods. But just having a record of what I eat and what exercise I do I think helps.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking for 3 weeks earlier this summer (I was gone on a road trip and I don't use a smart-phone), and relied on my body to tell me when I'm hungry and when I'm full. I found that by really paying attention, asking myself if I was truly hungry (or just bored?), and stopping eating when I felt full, I was able to maintain. Granted, I did not lose weight during those 3 weeks, but going on vacation, eating at other people's homes, and dining out for 3 weeks without gaining was all the success I was looking for!

Now I am back to tracking because I am still aiming to lose some more pounds. But I am fairly confident in my maintenance abilities once I get to that point.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy keeping track. I do it via my iPhone which is quick, easy and convienent. If I had to do it only through the computer I'd feel more burdened - I don't find the online diary to be as user friendly.

Keeping track of everything makes me totally feel in control, which actually helps me feel like I have more freedom with this whole diet thing. No more second-guessing... I have a hard time imagining life without food journaling!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I was on and off WW for years and was successful when logging my intake, but gained with I didn’t log. I was recently put on an 1800 calorie, low sodium diet, so have to be exact. I’m in the midst of a lifestyle change and need to know what is healthy for me. That is why I use MFP and log everything, even the 1100 calorie, 5000 mg sodium turkey leg (ouch) I had at the county fair.
  • mycatas
    mycatas Posts: 20
    Options
    I complete my food diary in the morning and try to stick to it throughout the day. If I change my meals, I fix it at the end of the day.

Since I live alone, I can be really lazy about getting variety into my meals, but when I plan them in the morning at a time when my stomach isn't demanding dinner, I'm more creative. Also, I can pick up stuff on the way home if I plan for it.
  • otgrouch
    otgrouch Posts: 21
    Options
    I have always logged my foods.. I find it sometimes helps to plan the next day..I input what I think im going to have or plan on having..I can always change it if I vary from it... It may help with keeping track..:happy:
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I thought tracking it would really get me down but i'm actually really enjoying what foods i've been eating are good and bad, i've been surprised! Coming in under is a lovely feeling :o)
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My estimates are a complete mess, so I have to track. Also, it helps keep me on track because I know other people are looking at it. That's why I keep it public and try to just work with what I am doing. Tracking also makes me feel like I accomplished something because I can be like "HEY! I didn't go over today!"