Tips for a more balanced diet & meeting macros

Options
Hi all,

This is my first post, and it will be long, sorry! But I need some advice on how can I continue my fitness journey.

Background: female, 29 years old, 5.12 feet, 108 pounds. I am working out 3-5 times a week, I've never dieted, and my weight never really fluctuated. I have been working out for a couple of years, I'm very much enjoying it, HOWEVER it's not highly intensive at all - 30 minutes of doing body weight or lightweight exercises, some yoga. I'm naturally petite and don't want to lose weight, I just want to be fit and live a healthier lifestyle.

Nevertheless, I've always had some belly fat to loose (I used to have a sweet tooth in the past). So my journey in MFP started with setting 1500 calories in order to target specifically the body fat. They're distributed into: carbs, 169 gr (45%), fat 42 gr. (25%) and protein 113 gr (30%). I came up with these after checking out various calculators and I hope they're OK.

This has been going for roughly a month and according to MFP I'm usually below the target, at about 1200-1300 kcal. I have lost 2 pounds, perhaps, but I don't really focus on the scale. I feel leaner and that's ok, I know I can't spot reduce fat either, but I still feel there are some results from the 'cut'.

Still, don't want to overdo it so I decided I should rather shift my focus to eating better!

And I noticed it's hard for me to eat more protein and carbs (I always have 'extra' at the end of the day), while I'm slightly above the calculated fat and sugar intake (the sugar I have manually set to 30 grams, as I said I have over-indulged in the past). I am not sure how is this happening, I am trying to avoid processed sugar (to almost none at all), no sugary drinks etc., and to my knowledge I am eating the good fats (like olive oil, eggs, avocados, nuts - I love them, dairy products - milk, cheese - which I've limited them but can't live without!). My sugar comes from literally a piece of dark chocolate, 1-2 fruits per day, and tomatoes :smiley:

This is all new to me and therefore a bit confusing, I generally don't think I'm eating a bad diet, still - do I need to cut more fat and sugar?

Also, what are your tips for incorporating more protein?. I recently bought protein powder and bars, it is a convenient option as I'm not cooking, let's say, chicken every day, but I don't know if it's best for me (as I said, my workouts are rather light so I assumed that power lifters need more of that).

Any advise would be much appreciated, I know I have so much more to learn, again sorry for the long post.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    how much are you looking to lose? you are 108lbs now??
  • MFP_Irina
    MFP_Irina Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, 108 lbs now. I was 110 I think. Generally, I'm not looking to lose weight (ideally, just fat). I want to eat balanced, that's all. * Building muscle would be the next step, but only after learn how to eat better. Thanks for your response! :)